Withdrawals and Refunds

How to Withdraw from a Berklee College of Music Course

After the deadline to drop a course has passed, students may withdraw from a course by submitting a Withdrawal from a Course form at the Office of the Registrar. A withdrawn course will remain on a transcript with a grade of "W" (Withdrawn) and is not eligible for a tuition refund or a replacement course.

Please note: Withdrawn courses are considered attempted courses and, as such, may affect a student’s satisfactory academic progress. Withdrawn courses are not considered when calculating a student’s GPA. If you receive financial aid or veterans’ benefits, withdrawal from a course(s) may reduce your eligibility for aid. If you are an international student, withdrawal from a course(s) may jeopardize your F-1 Visa status.

Deadlines for Course Withdrawal

  • Fall 2018: November 16, 2018
  • Spring 2019: April 5, 2019

How to Withdraw from the College

Students who wish to withdraw from the college anytime after completing the check-in process are required to complete a Withdrawal from the College form in order to be officially withdrawn from the term. There are three locations to do this:

  1. U.S. citizens (or permanent residents) who are withdrawing from the college for any nonmedical reason must schedule an appointment with the Retention and Student Success Office at success@berklee.edu or with an academic advisor.
  2. U.S. citizens (or permanent residents) who are withdrawing from the college for any medical reason must obtain medical documentation and schedule an appointment with a designated Health and Wellness staff member by calling 617-747-2310.
  3. International students withdrawing from the college for either medical or nonmedical reasons must schedule an appointment with their international advisor. Please note that international students in F-1 status will affect their immigration status by withdrawing from the college.

Other Refund Information


All fees are nonrefundable after the start of classes.

Tuition Credit

Students withdrawing before the end of the fourth week of either the fall or spring semesters are entitled to a credit of part of their tuition: 80 percent if withdrawing during the first week, 60 percent if withdrawing during the second week, 40 percent if withdrawing during the third week, and 20 percent if withdrawing during the fourth week. After the fourth week, no credit will be made. No deduction is made for temporary absence, nor is any credit granted if students are suspended, dismissed, or leave the college without officially withdrawing.

Students also have the option to sign up for an additional tuition insurance program provided through Liberty Mutual Insurance. This coverage supplements Berklee College of Music’s student refund policy. More information can be found here.

Financial Aid Recipients

Financial aid awards may be prorated upon withdrawal from the college. Contact the Office of Student Financial Services for more information.


Students living in one of the college's residence halls must vacate the residence within 48 hours of withdrawing from the college. Those students should contact the Housing Office prior to leaving the college. Refunds are based on the student's checkout date from the residence hall, not the student's withdrawal date. The policies governing withdrawal from the residence halls are stated in the Housing Contract signed by the student.

Computer Purchase

Students withdrawing from the college are not eligible for a refund or credit for their computer purchase. Once the laptop has been picked up and signed for, there are no refunds.

Berklee Student Health Insurance

Students who are enrolled in Berklee's health insurance plan, and who withdraw from the college after the start of any semester, will continue to have coverage through August 14 of the following year. For more information about Berklee's student health insurance plan, please visit Berklee's page at Gallagher Student Health and Special Risk.