Transfer Credit

Berklee College of Music values the college-level course work undertaken by our students at institutions of higher education throughout the world. You are invited to submit official transcripts from regionally accredited institutions for transfer credit evaluation.

Music Courses

  • Other than some music history and music business courses, Berklee does not award transfer credits for music courses.
  • If you feel you have expertise in a music course, you may speak with the relevant department chair at Berklee about the possibility of credit by exam.

Liberal Arts Courses

You are required to complete at least six credits of liberal arts courses at Berklee in order to graduate. Once matriculated, you are generally expected to complete all remaining course work at Berklee, though some transfer credits are accepted in the general elective or liberal arts categories:

  • You may transfer a maximum of three additional courses from a regionally accredited institution as long as these courses do not cause you to exceed the 24 credit cap.
  • Candidates for the bachelor of music degree may transfer up to 24 credits of required liberal arts courses.
  • Professional diploma students may transfer up to 12 credits in liberal arts courses toward general elective requirements.
  • For a course to transfer as a required Berklee course, the course must have a description comparable to that of a course offered at Berklee.
  • All courses accepted for transfer must be successfully completed with a minimum grade of "C" (or 73 percent, or 2.0).

Converting Credits from Non-Semester-Hour Systems

Berklee operates under a semester-hour system. A conversion must be made when transferring credit from a university using a different system:

  • For quarter-hour systems, three quarter-hour credits are equal to two semester-hour credits and 4.5 quarter-hour credits are equal to three semester-hour credits.
  • For lecture-hour systems, 30 lecture hours are equal to two semester-hour credits and 45 lecture hours are equal to three semester-hour credits.

Submitting Transfer Credits

  • Submit all of your official transcripts to the Office of Admissions before matriculating. Berklee will accept applicable transfer credit for work done prior to matriculation.
  • If you are already attending Berklee and have taken courses, post-matriculation, at a regionally based university, have your official transcripts mailed directly to the Office of the Registrar. The Office of the Registrar evaluates all transfer credit for the college. Following a transfer credit evaluation, you will receive a transfer equivalency report indicating which courses transferred and how those courses will apply toward graduation.
  • Berklee cannot accept a transcript that has been opened or faxed, as these transcripts are not official. A transcript is considered official only if it is sent directly from a college/university to Berklee or is given to you in a sealed and stamped envelope and delivered unopened to Berklee.
  • Berklee does not accept grade reports.
  • Please see the Transfer Credit Guide for more in-depth transfer credit policy details.

Frequently Asked Questions

Berklee may accept transfer credits from any accredited institution of higher education (college or university), including courses taken online.

How can I get my transcript evaluated?

To find out which transfer credits Berklee takes, you must have been accepted into a full-time degree or diploma program. You may also check the Transfer Credit Guide for a list of generally accepted courses and other useful information about transfer credits.

When will I know if my credits have been accepted?

Berklee will email you a transfer credit evaluation within two to four weeks of admitting you to the college.

Where do I send my transcripts?

When you apply to Berklee, send all official transcript and supporting materials to:

Berklee College of Music
Office of Admissions
1140 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02215

What if I have Advanced Placement credit?

Request an official AP score report from the College Board. Berklee's College Board code is 3107. Note: Berklee does not accept AP credit when reported on another college transcript.

What if I have a transcript from an international institution?

You must use a credential evaluation service recommended by Berklee. For more information, see the Credential Evaluation FAQ or the official list of supporting materials.

How will my course transfer if my college is on a quarter-hour system?

See the Transfer Credit Guide.

How will I know how much longer it will take for me to graduate from Berklee after I have transferred in outside credit?

You can view Grids by Major here. You can also check the Transfer Credit Guideto view a list of generally accepted outside courses.

Whom can I contact if I have questions about my transfer credit evaluation report?

If you have questions after receiving your transfer credit evaluation report or viewing your transfer credit online (on under "Student Services -> View Transcript"), please contact the academic records & information services specialist at or 617 747-8519, or the Office of the Registrar.

What are general electives?

General electives are normally elective music courses such as ensembles or instrumental labs; however, liberal arts course work may be used to satisfy a portion of the general elective credit.

Which courses do you not accept?

Berklee does not accept transfer credits for the following courses:

  • Computer science
  • Dance
  • Engineering
  • English as a Second Language (ESL)
  • English courses taken at international institutions where English is not the official language
  • Music courses (see "Music Courses" section near the top of this page for more information)
  • Physical education
  • Vocational courses (for example, auto mechanics, law, nursing, or optometry)