Berklee Today

Final Cadence

Julia Kaplin '60 (formerly Julia Siefert) of Palm City, Florida, died May 10 in Rutland, Vermont. She was 69. Kaplin attended John Adams High School in New York and then attended Berklee. She worked as vice president of administration at Harry A. Sturch & Associates for 30 years. She is survived by her husband, Raymond Kaplin, and sons Raymond Jr., Arthur, and Stephen.

Errol Burke '62 of Revere, Massachusetts, passed away on July 11 at his home following a brief illness. He was 63. Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Burke attended Berklee in the early 1960s. He worked part time as a musician and also drove a cab in Boston.

Gary Jacober '68 of Pawtucket, Rhode Island, died April 21 at home. He was 51. Jacober was a mallet percussion player and received his degree in music education from Berklee in 1968 after receiving a degree in English from Boston University. He served as a music teacher at Samuel Slater Junior High School.

Frank R. Turziano '69 of Bristol, New Hampshire, died July 17, at the Lahey Clinic in Burlington, Massachusetts, after an illness. He was 56. Turziano was the first guitarist to graduate from Berklee with a degree in performance. He joined the Guitar Department faculty soon afterward and later became director of the Berklee Performance Center. He played professionally for many years with the Boston Pops Orchestra and in pit bands for Boston theater productions. Most recently, he was a music teacher for the Newfound, New Hampshire, Area School District. Turziano leaves behind his wife, Nancy and three stepchildren, Annie Flynn, Amy Flynn, and Ted Flynn.

Stephen Camello '72 of Saugus, Massachusetts, died suddenly on August 20 at his home. He was 48. Camello was a self-employed musician who performed frequently around Boston's North Shore area.

Lynette Marie Collins '80 of Cambridge, Massachusetts, died on April 27. She was 46. Collins was a pianist and earned her degree in composition at Berklee. She was active in Christian music ministries at the Cambridge Pentecostal Tabernacle and was involved in the International Family Church's (IFC) music ministry for 20 years. Collins had served as lead keyboard player for IFC since 1985. She directed choirs and bands and also wrote and arranged music and oversaw musical productions for the church.

Edward McCarthy '90 of San Rafael, California, died July 24 at Marin General Hospital after a brief illness. He was 38. Originally from New Bedford, Massachusetts, McCarthy was an accomplished bassist and received his diploma from Berklee in performance. He played with local groups Stage Fright, Wild Nites, and others. McCarthy earned a degree in textile technology from Southern Massachusetts University and a bachelor of arts degree from the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth. He is survived by his wife, Carol.

Shiro Kodama '03 passed away suddenly on September 2 at his Brookline, Massachusetts, apartment. He was 27. A native of Tokyo, Japan, Kodama was a guitarist and had studied music business at Berklee. He completed the 2003 spring semester and was planning to return for the fall semester.

Former Berklee faculty member Freddy Guerra of Mesa, Arizona, died on May 17. He was 79. Guerra, a clarinetist and saxophonist, had been the youngest member of Glenn Miller's Army Air Force Band in 1942. He toured the world with Miller's band between 1942 and 1946. He later led his own Freddy Guerra Orchestra at clubs in the Boston area while teaching at Berklee and New England Conservatory of Music. In 1999 he suffered a stroke that left him unable to play his instrument, but continued to lead bands until the end of his life. He leaves his wife, Ruth, three daughters, and 12 grandchildren.

Vito Pascucci H'98, founder of the G. LeBlanc Corporation, a musical instrument manufacturing company based in Kenosha, Wisconsin, died August 18 after a lengthy illness. He was 80. Pascucci received an honorary doctorate from Berklee in 1998, in recognition of his innovations in the manufacture of band instruments and for his efforts to further music education and participatory musical experiences among school-age children. Pascucci is survived by his wife, Betty, a son, and a daughter.