Pregnant and Parenting Students

Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 prohibits discrimination based on sex in education programs or activities including academic, educational, extracurricular, athletic, and other programs or activities of schools. This prohibition includes discrimination against pregnant and parenting students.

Pregnancy and Parenting Adjustments and Accommodations for Students

Students may request adjustments based on general pregnancy needs, including pregnancy, childbirth, false pregnancy, termination or loss of pregnancy, or recovery therefrom.

Additionally, students may request a disability accommodation based on a chronic pregnancy-related medical condition or exacerbated symptoms of pregnancy, which may include, extreme/chronic morning sickness, gestational diabetes, and preeclampsia.

What types of adjustments may I request?

  • Providing a larger desk or unattached desk and chair in classrooms 
  • Access to lactation rooms on campus
  • Rescheduling tests or exams due to pregnancy or related conditions 
  • Submitting work after a deadline due to pregnancy, related conditions, or childbirth 
  • Breaks during class, as needed
  • Excusing absences due to pregnancy or related conditions 
  • Allowing excused absences for parenting students (this includes both parents, when applicable) who need to take their children to doctors’ appointments or take care of their sick children

How do I request an adjustment?

Students may submit requests for pregnancy related adjustments using the following form.

Request Form

Note: You may also upload any medical documentation that supports your request for an adjustment at the bottom of the online form.

Completed forms will be sent and reviewed by the assistant vice president of equity and Title IX/Title IX coordinator, who will reach out to the student to set up a meeting to discuss the adjustment/accommodation process and details of their request. 

Students may also directly reach out to the assistant vice president of equity and Title IX/Title IX coordinator to ask any questions or directly request an adjustment:

Assistant Vice President of Equity and Title IX/Title IX Coordinator - Sarah Onori

Specific adjustments will be handled on a case-by-case basis and will depend on medical need and academic requirements.

How do I request a disability accommodation related to exacerbated symptoms from pregnancy?

In certain situations, a student may request a reasonable accommodation due to a chronic pregnancy-related medical condition or exacerbated symptoms from pregnancy, which may include extreme/chronic morning sickness, gestational diabetes, and preeclampsia.

Accommodation requests should be directed to Accessibility Resources for Students (ARS). Accessibility Resources provides accommodations for students with disabilities. Students will need to register with Accessibility Resources in order to request an accommodation. Please note that Accessibility Resources may ask you to provide medical documentation that supports the requested accommodation.

You may contact Accessibility Resources or schedule a meeting with your Access Advisor to for more information.

How do I get connected to pregnancy-related medical care and support resources?

Berklee’s Case Management can help students locate available pregnancy-related medical care and support resources, including:

  • Finding mental health counseling specifically for pregnant or parenting students 
  • Locating eligible medical providers including an OB-GYN, primary care providers, pediatrician, doula, midwife, and lactation consultant 
  • Assistance navigating health insurance benefits for pregnant students Information applying for WIC, which is a state-run food assistance for women, children, and infants 
  • Receiving safer sex supplies, which is free, at no cost, to students in need

You can contact Case Management by scheduling an in-person or virtual meeting with a case manager.