Special Circumstances Appeal

Students who are experiencing extenuating financial circumstances can appeal for need-based institutional aid through the appeals process. All accepted or currently enrolled Berklee College of Music and Boston Conservatory at Berklee students are eligible to appeal for additional funding. Every effort is made to assist students who demonstrate financial need. 

Note that Berklee Online students are not eligible to submit a special circumstances appeal.

A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required for domestic students who wish to appeal, while a CSS Profile is required for the college's international students who wish to appeal. Students who are already receiving Presidential or full-tuition scholarships are not eligible to receive appeal funding, as Berklee institutional funding cannot exceed tuition charges.

Special Circumstances Appeal Process

Students who would like to appeal should submit this form. Once the form is submitted, our appeals committee will review the appeal and determine if you're eligible for assistance.

The following are some of the factors that will be considered during the committee review:

  • Family financial need, as demonstrated by the FAFSA or CSS Profile
  • Any previous family borrowing history
  • Your current aid package
  • Academic performance 
  • Semester in school (continuing students only)
  • Audition and interview results (entering students only)
  • Supporting documentation

It is important to note that even with an approved appeal, the majority of students find it necessary to utilize other forms of funding to meet their costs. Please develop a sound financial plan that you can implement regardless of the outcome of your appeal. The Office of Student Financial Services is here to assist you as you explore your options to finance your Berklee education. You can contact us at via email at financialaid@berklee.edu and by phone at 617-747-2274.