How do I get a scholarship to come to Berklee?
Can I apply for any Berklee scholarships?
There is no application necessary to be considered for scholarships. All entering and continuing students are automatically considered.
Are there opportunities to get a scholarship after I start at Berklee?
Yes, continuing students meeting certain criteria are automatically considered for the Thrive Scholarship (login required), division awards, and other institutional funding. No application is necessary. Consideration is an automatic process, and students will be notified if they receive these awards.
What happens to my scholarship if I enroll part time?
Enrolling in less than full-time credits will result in your scholarship being prorated, or adjusted, accordingly. Learn more about our proration policy (login required).
If I change my principal instrument, will my scholarship be affected?
Change of principal instrument or failure to perform on the principal instrument will result in a review of the award decision and may result in the loss of scholarships.
Can I reaudition for a scholarship?
Students cannot reaudition for scholarship consideration. Should a student wish to be reconsidered for a scholarship, they must withdraw their current acceptance and reapply for admission to Berklee.
What happens to my scholarship if I defer my acceptance?
Admitted students to our full-time undergraduate programs are eligible to defer their admission and associated scholarship, as indicated below:
- Students admitted to the fall (September) semester may defer their admission to either the spring (January) or summer (May) semester.
- Students admitted to the spring (January) semester may defer to the summer (May) semester.
- Students admitted to the summer (May) semester may defer to the spring (January) semester.
Students interested in a later fall (September) semester will need to reapply.
What happens to my scholarship if I want to take a leave of absence or do not attend for a certain period of time?
- Enrolled students who take a leave of absence for two semesters or more will need to email firstname.lastname@example.org before their return semester to request scholarship reinstatement.
- Students who skip or defer one semester will generally be able to receive their scholarship when they return. They do not need to request reinstatement, but should email email@example.com to ensure their scholarship is posted for their return semester.
- Students must be academically able to return and resume their studies within three years of starting their leave of absence to be eligible for scholarship reinstatement. Certain scholarships, such as division awards, one-time grants, and some named funds may not be eligible for renewal. All reinstated scholarships will fall under the post-fall 2019 scholarship policy.
I'm worried about my GPA and scholarship. What are the academic requirements to maintain my scholarship?
Students receiving standard scholarships are expected to at least meet SAP standards: a CGPA of 2.0 and completion percentage of 70. Students receiving the Thrive Scholarship are expected to maintain a CGPA of 3.0 and completion percentage of 94. Scholarship will automatically be renewed provided students are meeting this and other criteria outlined on the scholarship policy page.
Entering student scholarships (post-fall 2019) are renewable through eight semesters. Scholarship recipients are expected to maintain high academic and musical standards, as outlined in our scholarship policy (login required).
Students who were intially awarded their scholarship prior to fall 2019 and have not taken a leave of absence have the following limits on their scholarship:
- Diploma program: 120 credits
- Diploma double major: 150 credits
- Degree program: 150 credits
- Degree double major: 180 credits
Students who have completed all graduation requirements for their course of study are no longer eligible to receive scholarship funding.
Does Berklee have scholarships for students who play specific instruments?
No. Students are awarded scholarships based on Berklee's entering and continuing scholarship processes. Entering students are evaluated based on the strength of their admissions application (audition, interview, academics, and/or original compositions).
Does Berklee College of Music have scholarships for students in particular majors?
There are a number of scholarships designated for upper semester students studying in particular majors and departments that are awarded through the Spring Awards process. The Spring Awards are small, partial-tuition, merit awards ranging from $500 to $5,000 that are targeted to high-achieving continuing students nearing graduation. A select group of students are nominated by the faculty, chairs, and deans for Spring Awards based on their outstanding academic and musical achievement in their major/instrumental department. There is no application necessary for these awards. Students will be notified if they receive one.
I've received a scholarship, but need more financial assistance. What can I do?
Domestic students should apply for need-based financial aid by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the CSS Profile. International students should fill out the CSS Profile. In addition, all students should seek financial assistance in the form of scholarships and sponsorships outside of the college. We encourage you to explore other sources of funding, including our list of outside scholarships.