"In technology, the only thing we can count on is change. So we prepare our students to go on learning, long after they have their Berklee degree. We believe the best way to do this is to foster critical thinking and adaptability, and give them a broad foundation of recording practices. Our goal is to mold versatile, well-rounded musicians with critical-listening skills, interpersonal skills, and a wide range of technical knowledge, balancing historical context with state-of-the-art methods."
"When I teach, I try to keep the atmosphere very hands-on and informal. I want to encourage creativity and experimentation, to defeat some of the negative aspects of their past education: regimentation, fear of authority, and lack of motivation. I want my students to be self-starters and energized, with a passion that comes from love of music."
"Because Berklee has such a concentration of highly motivated, extremely talented people, it is a microcosm of the future recording industry, and the contacts students make here can be the basis of their coming career. The MP&E Department offers its students a way to interact with the cream of the performance and writing divisions, opening possibilities for relationships that can serve them for years to come."
- Independent recording engineer and record producer
- Credits with many recording artists, including Laurie Anderson, Leonard Cohen, Holly Cole, Fishbone, Guster, Janis Ian, Vonda Shepherd, Cat Stevens, the Temptations, and others
- Film scores include Kafka, Pump Up the Volume, and The Limey
- TV scores include thirtysomething and The Wonder Years
- Location music recording on Matewan, Passion Fish, and The Underneath
- Live recordings include Cohen Live and Field Commander Cohen
- Live sound for Laurie Anderson’s United States Parts I–IV