Minor in Microtonal Music
The microtonal minor, overseen by the Planet MicroJam Institute, explores the musical notes that exist outside of the traditional Western 12-tone octave model. Through this minor, students explore the various musical styles (blues, Middle Eastern music, and more) that use microtones. They will apply different styles and methods of using microtones in both composition and performance across genres, enhancing their musicality and enriching their knowledge of musical diversity.
Upon successful completion of the microtonal minor, students will:
- demonstrate microtonal musicianship as they sing and/or play a variety of microtonal styles of music;
- compose, arrange, and perform microtonal music in a variety of different styles;
- engage in microtonal improvisation in jazz, groove, non-Western, and free improvisation styles;
- read various types of microtonal notation; and
- lead and collaborate with other microtonal musicians in rehearsal and/or performance settings.