Minor in Instrument Repair
The courses outlined as part of the instrument repair minor are designed to provide those enrolled a better understanding of the mechanics, assembly, disassembly, repair, and appropriate maintenance of musical instruments. Students are exposed to and learn how to diagnose an instrumental problem, estimate the time required to complete a standard repair, provide an estimate of the cost of the repair, as well as estimate the cost of associated instrument maintenance.
The overarching goals of the courses are to introduce the learners to the growing field of instrument repair and the essential tools needed to establish themselves as independent contractors. The instrument repair minor is open to all students enrolled at the college. Completion of the minor will be designated on the student's official transcript at the time of degree completion.
Upon completion of a minor in instrumental repair, students will:
- Identify and assess repairs needed for brass, woodwind, string, and keyboard instruments;
- Develop maintenance plans for brass, woodwind, string, and keyboard instruments;
- Determine cost estimates for materials and repairs;
- Tune keyboard instruments; and
- Create a business plan for acting as an independent repair contractor.