Minor in Music and Society—Gender Studies Track
This program prepares students for active and valued participation in the competitive music industry.
Preparation for professions such as composing, performing, teaching, providing therapy, and/or recording/producing music as well as representing artists, promoting musical events, and/or industry sales and advocacy is greatly enhanced by a deep analytical understanding of gender issues in the music industry and the wider culture.
This understanding is increasingly valued throughout the professional world and by exploring their disciplines through the gender lens students strengthen their personal and professional skills for success.
LENG-111: Writing and Communication
Upon completion of a minor in music and society - gender studies track, students will:
- Synthesize and integrate knowledge from the disciplines of gender studies, womens' studies and cultural studies;
- Evaluate gendered identities as presented by artists, musical groups/styles and society;
- Synthesize the awareness of gendered identity as part of the multi-faceted nature of identity;
- Analyze the impact of gender presentation, representation, and interpretation in the performance and promotion of music;
- Comprehend gendered identity in self and others as part of culturally bound concepts of masculinity and femininity;
- Compose written and oral communications; and
- Apply critical thinking and practical reasoning.