Institutional Review Board (IRB)
The Berklee College of Music Institutional Review Board (IRB) reviews all research involving human subjects, whether carried out by faculty, students, or staff. On this page you will learn what research requires IRB approval, how to apply for IRB review, and how to obtain the required training for doing human subjects research.
Only activities that fall into the category of human subjects research, as defined by federal policy in title 45, section 46 of the United States Code, require IRB review. In general, this means:
- the activities must first qualify as research, defined as a systematic investigation that develops or contributes generalizable knowledge; and
- the research should involve collecting data through interaction or intervention with a living individual, or indirectly collecting identifiable personal data about a living individual.
If you are planning any activity that involves interacting with or collecting data about living individuals, you can contact the Berklee IRB at email@example.com to find out if you need to apply for IRB review.
The IRB has also prepared a PowerPoint presentation that gives an overview of human subjects research and may answer frequently asked questions: Human_Subjects_Basics.pdf
As soon as you have determined that your planned activity involves human subjects research, you should start the application process for IRB review. The IRB meets once a month, and review and approval must take place before any research subjects are recruited. You should allow a minimum of 30 days for IRB review, and you will be invited to attend the IRB meeting at which your project is reviewed.
Remember that the IRB is not just here to make sure you comply with regulations but also to help you succeed with your research. If you have questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.
Mike Mason, IRB Chair
- May 11, 2017 (submissions due April 27)
- June 8, 2017 (submissions due May 25)
- July 13, 2017 (submissions due June 29)
- August 10, 2017 (submissions due July 27)
- September 14, 2017 (submissions due August 31)
- October 12, 2017 (submissions due September 28)