Professional Licensure Disclosures

Berklee is committed to providing clear and accurate information to current and prospective students to help inform career planning. The following programs meet the educational requirements for professional licensure or certification in Massachusetts. If you plan to pursue professional licensure or certification in a state other than Massachusetts, it is strongly recommended that you contact the appropriate licensing entity in that state to seek information and guidance regarding licensure or certification requirements. State licensure agency websites for each corresponding program, if available, are linked for each state below. For current and prospective students planning to teach or practice outside of the United States, please contact the program chair. 

Bachelor of Music in Music Education

The Bachelor of Music in music education meets the applicable state prerequisites for educator licensure in Massachusetts. Graduates of this program who are endorsed for an initial teaching license in Massachusetts may be able to obtain an initial teaching license or certification in the U.S. states and territories that have signed the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) Interstate Agreement 2020–2025. Additional testing, coursework, fees, background checks, and other requirements may apply. Non-member states may require verification of your educator licensure program. You should contact the appropriate licensing entity in the state to which you may be relocating to get the most up-to-date information. 

Bachelor of Music in Music Therapy

Any person looking to obtain their national board certified music therapist (MT-BC) credential to practice music therapy is required to become certified by the Certification Board for Music Therapists (CBMT). The Bachelor of Music in music therapy meets the current educational requirements to apply for the national MT-BC credential. After obtaining national certification, some states may require an additional state license in order to practice music therapy in that state. For more information, visit the American Music Therapy Association (AMTA) website and the CBMT website


Licensure information for each state and program was reviewed and updated in July 2020.


Licensure Exams

Below are the licensure passage rates of Berklee students in recent years.