IDEO + BerkleeICE Summer Lab
Current and recently graduated students are invited to apply to the IDEO + BerkleeICE Summer Lab which will run from July 11 through 29, 2016 in Boston. The joint program will explore the challenge of capturing quality information about the creation of music for use in block chains, digital ledger technology, and decentralized systems. Of particular focus will be the experience of capturing and interacting with the data in two use cases:
- New, creative workflows to gather this critical data; and
- Emergent fan experiences resulting from data collection.
Interns will be placed on interdisciplinary teams, taught fundamental design-thinking methodologies by IDEO designers, and be given access to emerging technology and music industry experts. These teams will be guided through a three-week design sprint methodology resulting in prototypes of new consumer and creator experiences that may be further funded by corporate sponsors after the program.
If you are committed to developing your entrepreneurial skills and want to help design the future, this is the summer opportunity for you. It’s also a full-time, paid internship. We’re seeking a diverse group with a background or experience in music, graphic and interaction design, software development, and business design.
The first day of the lab will begin with a deep dive into industry challenges, creative workflows, and a technology landscape. Participants will hear from music industry veterans, streaming services, software developers, entrepreneurs and artists. The second day will be an immersion into IDEO's design-thinking methodologies with emphasis on framing challenges, building empathy, and prototyping. On the third day, teams and project briefs will be assigned and the sprint begins. Each day has a planned agenda to ensure teams stay on track to develop their prototypes for Demo Day on July 29, 2016.
- Have relevant experience or education in music, graphic and interaction design, software development, or business design;
- Be a current undergraduate or graduate student or recently graduated individual;
- Hold a U.S. work visa if you are not a citizen;
- Be available full-time on June 3 as well as from July 11 to 29; and
- Have access to transportation to and from Boston.
Interns will receive a stipend of $1,500 each for the full program participation.
How to Apply
The application process has three steps:
- Step 1: The first step requires an online submission of a curriculum vitae (CV) by May 27, 2016 through this online form.
- Step 2: Qualified applicants will proceed to a one-day “audition” make-athon in Boston on Friday, June 3, 2016.
- At the make-athon, you’ll spend a day with IDEO designers and Berklee faculty for an action-packed, high-energy dive into the IDEO design-thinking process. Expert facilitators will match you with a talented and diverse team of peers, and together you’ll design consumer concepts that explore the questions above. Like a hackathon, a make-athon is a fun and intense event where people build, but the tools they use go beyond coding, and skills other than software development are highly valued, too.
- Step 3: You’ll be evaluated throughout the day and selected Summer Lab participants will be notified the following week.