The BSI Mentoring Program is designed to help first-year students build relationships with staff and faculty, monitor their academic performance and personal well-being, and provide a supportive network that encourages artistic development.
Become a BSI Mentor
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide encouragement and support as a positive role model.
- Serve as a positive role model through demonstrating patience, professionalism, tolerance, and reflective listening.
- Help your mentee develop a set of goals for completing their degree requirements and building their future career.
- Commit to serve at least one year as a mentor.
- Meet with your mentee in person between four and six times per semester.
- Fill out a Mentor Check-In Form within two business days after meeting with your mentee.
- Communicate regularly with your mentee via meetings, email, or phone/text to stay updated on the progress of your mentee's educational and professional endeavors.
- Attend a minimum of one training session each semester.
- Attend BSI events as requested by program staff.
- Maintain an open and honest line of communication with BSI staff.
- Recognize your role as a responsible employee, inform your mentee that you're a responsible employee, and report any problematic issues.
- Respect your mentee’s time, opinions, values, and decision-making.
- Establish appropriate boundaries with your mentee and their family.
- Encourage and support your mentee.
- Respect the confidentiality of the mentoring relationship.
- Direct your mentee to appropriate educational, financial, and social services while working together.
Please note that Berklee staff members must receive approval from their supervisor before serving as a program mentor.
Before You Apply
- Mentors can be faculty, staff, or chairs employed by the College or Conservatory and must receive approval from their supervisor prior to serving as a mentor.
- We welcome staff at every level to serve as a mentor, but please note that positions higher than chair (e.g., dean, senior vice president, etc.) are not eligible to receive an honorarium through the program.
- Mentors will be required to re-apply every Summer by the posted deadline in order to serve as a mentor for the following academic year.
- Mentees are paired with mentors during the month of September of each academic year.
- We pair one mentor with one student each semester. If there is an opportunity to be paired with more than one student, BSI staff will reach out to registered mentors and pair additional students accordingly.
How to Apply
If you are a staff or faculty member at the College or Conservatory, and you are interested in becoming a new mentor for the 2023–2024 academic year, please note that registration will open in July 2023 and those interested should email staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
At the end of each semester, registered mentors will receive a $250 honorarium per mentee, provided they successfully complete the mentoring responsibilities as outlined above.
Resources for Mentors
BSI Programs and Events
Upcoming events are posted on the BSI Events page. Feel free to share the link with your mentees, and encourage them to attend events if their schedule permits.
Berklee Early Alert System
The Berklee Early Alert System allows faculty and staff to partner in supporting the personal and academic wellbeing of our students. Visit the Early Alert Process page (login required) for detailed information and the link to submit an alert.
Community Standards, Equity, and Title IX
The Equity and Title IX page has detailed information, resources, and incident reporting options.
The Community Standards and Conflict Resolution page has detailed information, resources, and reporting options for alleged violations of the Student Code of Community Standards.
Resources for Student Success
View a comprehensive list of on-campus academic, financial, and social resources to support student success.
Responsible Employee Policy
Read the Responsible Employee Policy to learn about your obligations, available training, and how to explain your reporting obligations to someone.
Please be sure to inform your mentee that you are a responsible employee and are required to share certain information with Berklee. Explain the types of information you will be required to share, with whom, and why.
Health and Wellness
Berklee Health and Wellness offers counseling, student wellness, survivor advocacy services, and more.