- Career Highlights
- Cofounder/director of Either/Or, an experimental chamber ensemble in New York City
- Composed and conducted the musicians of the New York Philharmonic for the NYPHIL BIENNIAL 2014 Festival
- Recordings include The Flow Cycle for Strings (New World Records) featuring Either/Or; Cycles of Evolution (New World Records) featuring musicians from the New York Philharmonic, Either/Or, Hotel Elefant, and DZ4; and Stone Guitars (New Focus Recordings) featuring solo, multilayered, electric guitar recordings
- Commissioned to pen a new official arrangement of the Rwandan National Anthem for the Rwandan Military Band
- Premieres by JACK and Mivos Quartets, Nieuw Ensemble
- Festival premieres include Darmstadt, Mid-American, and Pacific Rim
- Conducted over 200 premieres by leading avant-garde composers
- Former faculty at Columbia and New York Universities
- Given master classes in Israel, South Korea, Japan, U.K., Sweden, Rwanda, France, and throughout the U.S.
- Instruments include piano and electric guitar
- Guggenheim Fellow in music composition, 2015–2016
- Gugak International Fellow, South Korea, 2015
- Fromm Foundation commission, 2011
- CMA/ASCAP Award for Adventurous Programming
- A.B., Columbia University
- M.A., University of California
- Ph.D., University of California
- Stage d'ete at IRCAM (Paris)
- Koninklijk Conservatorium (The Hague)
In Their Own Words
"I thrive on being involved in music in many ways: as a composer, conductor, pianist, artistic director, and educator. What I love most about teaching is the personal development of each student. It is gratifying to be able to offer many different entry points into core and advanced subjects for students to best develop their capacity and innate talents."
"I hope students walk away from my classes with a strong sense of their own value and talent, a deeper understanding of the musical traditions and styles of previous composers and artists, and a vision for how they can best use their talents to develop their own musical voice in the contemporary world around them."
"Composition and creativity are totally intertwined. At Berklee, composition majors are offered a unique environment within which to develop their individual voice. The vast performing opportunities offered to Berklee students expand the act of composing to encompass also the realization and interpretation of the work. Berklee students have many opportunities to have their music performed, from notated to improvised settings, with all instrumentalists from diverse backgrounds; they not only develop a unique sound in this context, they learn also how to cultivate the right interpreters for their music."
"The Berklee experience provides a unique mix of passionate creativity and amazing performance opportunities amidst a diverse, international community."