The Contemporary Musical Theater Initiative at Berklee
The Contemporary Musical Theater Initiative is led by a group of faculty who are passionately dedicated to teaching theater arts with a focus not only on how theater is performed, but how it is made.
Musical theater courses and faculty-led projects at Berklee provide performance and leadership opportunities for singers, dancers, conductors, music directors, writers, composers, arrangers, and project managers. Musical theater programming ranges from contemporary musicals to new works by faculty and student composers and arrangers.
Email us with any questions or comments about musical theater at Berklee.
Minors in Musical Theater
We are pleased to offer three minors with a focus on musical theater:
Courses in Musical Theater
We offer a wide array of courses for students to study many the facets of the musical theater industry from composing to performing and more.
- Musical Theater Ensemble (ENVC-370) is dedicated to bringing the very best of Broadway along with brand new works to Berklee. This ensemble offers the highest level of performance training in the combined arts of acting, singing, and dancing required of the professional musical theater artist.
- Musical Theater Orchestra (ENCL-404) works in conjunction with the Musical Theater Ensemble to create Broadway quality productions by providing a 12-18 piece orchestra, often including pieces fully arranged and orchestrated by students.
- Elements of Theater Production (PST-385) provides technical support for the ensemble and orchestra, giving students hands-on experience in lighting, scenery, sound, props, and projections.
- Musical Theater Chorus (ENVC-470) is an ensemble class dedicated to staged readings of new musicals written and composed by Berklee students, faculty, and alumni.
For more information, view courses.
There are several ways for students to get involved with musical theater at Berklee, including cabarets, collaboration with the City Music program, contests, and more!
- 24-Hour Musical Theater Project: Composers, writers, music directors, lyricists, and performers come together during an intense weekend burst of creativity to generate six new 15-minute musicals in 24 hours.
- Cabarets: A series of monthly open mic nights at Berklee's Red Room (at 939 Boylston Street) to showcase students' musical prowess through Broadway or original musical theater works. Held on the first Monday of each month.
- City Music Collaboration: Connecting Boston and the MetroWest communities, this project frequently features musicals for young audiences in the community and at the Berklee Performance Center.
- Curtain Up: This concert and songwriting contest features original musical theater songs written and arranged by Berklee students. For more information, see the Curtain Up Facebook page.
Other Musical Theater Opportunities
Musical Theater Club
This entirely student-run organization provides opportunities for emerging student directors, choreographers, music directors, conductors, arrangers, musicians, and performers to practice their craft through fully staged productions. To learn more, sign up for the club email list, join us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter.