About Planet MicroJam
We live in an increasingly connected global village where 75-80 percent of the world's music is microtonal. Since Berklee's strategic initiative demands new ideas, it's important that the college be at the leading edge of this evolving trend in music.
Under the direction of David Fiuczynski, the Planet MicroJam Institute aims to:
- Introduce students to Western classical and non-Western microtonal sources, mix these in a new jazz/groove chord-scale context with new beats, and create new musical language.
- Get students to think outside the box by introducing new concepts and perspectives that will help them organize their musical thoughts.
- Empower students with the knowledge that they can innovate new musical ideas before they even leave school.
- Encourage a better understanding of other musical cultures and foster an environment of mutual respect.
- "Create the conditions under which some kind of miraculous, unpredictable creativity can occur," as Berklee President Roger H. Brown has said is "our ultimate purpose at Berklee."
Watch the Planet MicroJam Institute perform "Fung Wah Express" featuring Yazhi Guo: