- Career Highlights
- B.M., Berklee College of Music
- M.M., New England Conservatory of Music
- Performances with Ricky Ford, the Gene Krupa Orchestra, Billy Hart, Milt Hinton, and Makoto Ozone
- Recordings include Cosmic Motion Picture, One, and the upcoming Emanation
- Author of the Blues Improvisation Complete series (Berklee Press)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology Affiliated Artist
- Artist-in-residence, Escola de Musica, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
In Their Own Words
"I've been fortunate to have had many great teachers. Some were very systematic and technical in their approach while others were more ear-based, abstract and philosophical. I try to combine the best of all of that and adapt it, as much as possible, to each student's interests and learning style. I also enjoy teaching a variety of styles and genres. Maybe that's because it keeps it interesting and fresh, but also because I really love music of all kinds."
"Years of performing have taught me a lot about what it takes to prepare and practice for a successful performance. That includes everything from dealing with bizarre sound systems to understanding how to blend with players I've never played with before. In addition to practicing, hands-on experience (on-the-job-training) is the only way to develop as a musician and to ultimately arrive at the consistency we all strive for."