This form is for current and former students who need to update their student record with a different preferred name, gender, and/or pronoun(s) from what currently exists in Berklee systems. Please read the policy to gain a full understanding of the intent of this form.
- Faculty and staff: This form is only for current and former students. Faculty and staff can find information about updating their information from Human Resources (login required).
Legal name changes: Students who wish to change their legal names should contact the Office of the Registrar with legal documentation, such as an updated driver's license or birth certificate.
Preferred Name Versus Legal Name
If you choose to submit a preferred name, it will appear in, but may not be limited to, the following:
- Class rosters
- Academic records and reports (e.g., grade reports and unofficial transcripts for internal use)
- The campus directory (unless you have chosen a FERPA exclusion)
- Advisee lists and housing reports
- Email display (preferred name only)
- Your ID card (after a reprint of the card, once you've been notified that your name change was processed)
Please note that your legal name will continue to appear in records such as, but not limited to, the following:
- Financial aid records
- Official transcripts
- Your student account information
- Enrollment status verification information
- Payroll records
Gender Pronoun and Gender Identity Information
For students, gender pronoun and gender identity information will appear in, but may not be limited to, the following:
- Advisee lists
- Housing reports
Berklee endeavors to educate appropriate campus community members about name and pronoun preferences as fully as possible, and it is expected that all members of the Berklee community will respect the preferred names and pronouns of others. Continued use of non-preferred gender pronouns after notice of preferred gender pronouns may constitute a violation of policy.
Furthermore, while Berklee makes every effort to make requested name or pronoun changes in all appropriate places and in a timely manner, there may be instances where the change is missed or does not integrate into certain systems. If you have questions about updating your name, gender, or pronoun(s) in Berklee systems, please contact the Office of the Registrar.