Preferred Name, Gender Identity, and Gender Pronoun Update Form

This form is for current and former students and alumni who need to update their student record with a different preferred name, gender, and/or pronoun(s) from what currently exists in Berklee systems. Please read the policy to gain a full understanding of the intent of this form.

  • Faculty and staff: This form is only for current and former students and alumni. Faculty and staff can find information about updating their information (login required) from Human Resources.

Legal name changes: Current and former students and alumni who wish to change their legal names should contact the Office of the Registrar with legal documentation, such as an updated driver's license or birth certificate.

Begin the Form

Please allow three to five weeks for the updates to be reflected across Berklee systems.

Preferred Name Versus Legal Name

If you choose to submit a preferred name, it will appear in, but may not be limited to, the following:

  • Class rosters
  • Academic records and reports (e.g., grade reports and unofficial transcripts for internal use)
  • The campus directory (unless you have chosen a FERPA exclusion)
  • Advisee lists and housing reports
  • Email display (preferred name only)
  • Your ID card (after a reprint of the card, once you've been notified that your name change was processed)
  • Workday student employment profile
  • BerkleeCard (preferred first name only)
  • Berklee Connect

Please note that your legal name will continue to appear in records such as, but not limited to, the following:

  • Financial aid records
  • Official transcripts
  • Your student account information
  • Enrollment status verification information
  • Payroll records

Students will be able to choose to have their preferred name read during the commencement ceremony and appear in our printed and online commencement program.

Gender Pronoun and Gender Identity Information

For students, gender pronoun and gender identity information will appear in, but may not be limited to, the following:

  • Advisee lists
  • Housing reports
  • Berklee Connect

Berklee endeavors to educate appropriate campus community members about name and pronoun preferences as fully as possible, and it is expected that all members of the Berklee community will respect the preferred names and pronouns of others. Continued use of non-preferred gender pronouns after notice of preferred gender pronouns may constitute a violation of policy.

Furthermore, while Berklee makes every effort to make requested name or pronoun changes in all appropriate places and in a timely manner, there may be instances where the change is missed or does not integrate into certain systems. If you have questions about updating your name, gender, or pronoun(s) in Berklee systems, please contact the Office of the Registrar.

Please note that there are certain limitations that prevent us from updating preexisting Google Contacts. Your Google display name will always reflect your preferred name; however, if a contact record has already been created for you in the contact list of a third party, that original name will stay intact until manually updated by the account user. In those cases, the best solution for users is to reach out to their contacts and request they update the contact card for them in their Google Contacts.