Diversity and Inclusion Training
The Diversity and Inclusion team collaborates to deliver regular presentations, trainings, and workshops on foundational and intermediate diversity, equity, and inclusion content to the Berklee community. Below is a sample of our offerings:
- Introduction to the Center for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: This session can be integrated into a divisional or departmental meeting, and provides an overview of the center, including core functions, programs, offerings, approaches, and opportunities for engagement. This session can be expanded to provide participants with an opportunity to engage in dialogue with staff from the center about thoughts, questions, and ideas about diversity, equity, and inclusion at Berklee. These session can range from 30 minutes to 60 minutes depending on the needs of the group.
- Beginning the Journey: Exploring Foundational Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Concepts: This session introduces core diversity, equity, and inclusion concepts, and serves as a critical building block for developing a vocabulary and framework of understanding that supports ongoing exploration, conversations, and learning. This is a two-hour session.
- Oops...Now What Do I Do: Navigating Challenging Moments across Differences: It happens to all of us at some point: we are engaging in a conversation with a student or colleague, and something is said that offends, upsets, or negatively impacts the other. These situations often arise because of differences in identities and background, and it’s difficult to know what to do when we find ourselves in such a situation. This session will explore strategies for what you can do before, during, and after these challenging moments. This is a two-hour session.
- Ouch...Now What: When the Challenging Moment Happens to You: Whether it is the first time or the hundredth time, the impact of being on the receiving end of an insensitive comment or action brings up a range of responses and reactions. This session provides an opportunity for those in our community who have been on the receiving end of a comment or action that reflects bias (based on their membership in an under-represented or marginalized identity group) to explore strategies and processes to respond and move forward in a sustaining and productive way. These sessions begin in the fall of 2019.
- Initiating and Sustaining Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Change Efforts: This session explores critical organizational practices to initiate and sustain diversity, equity, and inclusion change efforts, and shares insights and strategies to support sustained organizational change. Participants should pre-read In Pursuit of a Strong, Clear Vision: Initiating and Sustaining Multicultural Change in Higher Education Organizations. This is a two-hour session.