All-Star Fred Taylor Scholarship Fund Benefit Concert
This not-to-be-missed all-star concert celebrates Boston music icon Fred Taylor and establishes an endowed scholarship for Berklee students in his name. In addition to guest speaker Pat Metheny '96H—a multi-Grammy-winning jazz guitarist, composer, and former Berklee faculty member—the lineup includes several leading jazz luminaries:
- Grammy-winning percussionist and composer Terri Lyne Carrington B.M. ’83 ‘03H, Zildjian chair in performance at the Berklee Global Jazz Institute
- Grammy-winning jazz vocalist, composer, and lyricist Kurt Elling
- Grammy-winning jazz pianist, composer, and educator Danilo Pérez B.M. ‘88, founder and artistic director of the Berklee Global Jazz Institute
- Grammy-winning bassist and composer John Patitucci, Berklee artist-in-residence perhaps best known for his work with Chick Corea '97H
- Acclaimed chart-topping jazz and blues vocalist Catherine Russell, former Berklee faculty member
- Rising saxophonist (The Late Show with Stephen Colbert), singer, and composer Grace Kelly B.M. ’11
- Renowned jazz piano virtuoso and composer Monty Alexander
- Rising trumpeter and composer Jason Palmer, Berklee assistant professor, who returns after leading a band at the Newport Jazz Festival
- Singer-songwriter Kat Edmonson, as recently seen/heard in Woody Allen’s Café Society
- Longtime Boston trumpeter and bandleader (Boston Pops Swing Orchestra) Bo Winiker
- Blues legend James Montgomery
Robin Young of WBUR-FM, Boston's NPR news station, will host the event along with Kelly.
Purchase tickets here. VIP tickets in rows A–L include complimentary admission to an "after-concert concert" following the show at B3 to continue to celebrate Taylor with the music of Rebecca Paris, Maggie Scott, and Cassandre McKinley with the Yoko Miwa Trio as well as Taylor's sit-down comedy. Plus, it's anyone's guess who may show up to jam the night away.
Taylor has been an unparalleled driving force in making Boston a great music city. For more than five decades, Taylor—Boston's ageless, irrepressible impresario—has devoted his life to nurturing gifted artists, presenting the who's who in jazz and beyond, and providing grateful audiences with extraordinary listening experiences.
Watch Patitucci, Pérez, and Brian Blade perform as Children of the Light: