Anti-Violence and Sexual Assault Prevention
Berklee Student Allies in Anti-Violence Education (SAAVE) is a community of students seeking a foundational body of knowledge and skills to reduce and prevent the impact of sexual misconduct and gender-based harm. Equipped with a dynamic understanding of related issues, students feel empowered to create a safer and more inclusive environment at Berklee and beyond. Berklee SAAVE strives to be a safe space in which all narratives and communities are celebrated. Members are expected to respect and support one another, and are encouraged to challenge each other in pursuit of growth, individually and collectively.
Berklee SAAVE membership is open to all Berklee College of Music and Boston Conservatory at Berklee students, and involves participating in intensive training that lasts the course of the semester. Students commit to a single semester at a time, but are encouraged to participate for the entire year. All training occurs on Thursday evenings for two hours. Each semester is focused around organization and execution of an awareness week on campus: Domestic and Intimate Partner Violence Awareness Week in the fall semester and Sexual Assault Awareness Week in the spring semester. Each training session is focused on increasing the group's knowledge as it relates to specific topics pertinent to the eradication and prevention of sexual misconduct and gender-based harm, with an emphasis on bystander intervention skills. Bystander intervention program facilitation skills are developed through group discussions, role playing, and experiential learning under the direction of certified bystander intervention trainers. Outside speakers are often brought in to lead supplemental trainings in areas of particular interest to the group. Trainings have been presented by facilitators from REACH Beyond Domestic Violence, Fenway Health, the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center (BARCC), the Massachusetts Department of Education Safe Schools Program, and others.
We encourage you to check back throughout the year to find out about our events. There are also other opportunities to get involved in the work of violence prevention on campus. If you are interested in being a part of the planning of events, programs, and outreach during Sexual Assault Awareness Week (April 22–26), please email us at SAAVE@berklee.edu.
More on SAAVE
- Non-Discrimination, Harassment, and Sexual Misconduct Policy Statement
- Filing a Report
- Medical Attention and the Sexual Assault Exam
- REACH Beyond Domestic Violence
- The Violence Recovery Program at Fenway Health
- Boston Area Rape Crisis Center (BARCC)
- Massachusetts Department of Education Safe Schools Program
- National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC)
- Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN)
- PreventConnect: dedicated to primary prevention of sexual assault and domestic violence
- Voices against Violence
- Boston Alliance of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer Youth
- FORGE: serves transgender and SOFFA survivors
- National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs: national advocacy for local LGBTQ+ communities