Bring Your Own Laptop to Berklee
In most cases, if you own an Apple laptop that meets or exceeds the college’s standards, you may bring that computer with you and pay for the $1,100 software package required of all entering students. You must purchase this software package when bringing your own computer to Berklee. There are no exceptions. The software package contains Finale, SmartMusic Studio, ProTools, Microsoft Office, Reason, Digital Performer, and Filemaker Pro. Updates to these applications are provided to you at no cost during your enrollment.
If your computer is less than three years old, you are most likely eligible to bring your own laptop to Berklee. A small number of computers that are eligible might not meet certain requirements for technology-focused majors, and you may need to upgrade your device during your stay at Berklee. Any of the current MacBook Pro laptop models meet the requirements. You may learn more about these models on the Apple Store website. Please note that Apple's newly released MacBook model (announced March 2015) is ineligible and does not meet these requirements.
To bring your own laptop to Berklee:
- Respond accordingly in the “Next Steps” section of the Admissions website at, or
- Contact the Student Computer Support Center by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 617 747-8800.
When you arrive at Berklee:
- Check-in, settle any remaining financial obligations, and get your Berklee ID card.
- Pick up the iLok USB key that is needed for ProTools by visiting the Student Computer Support Center on the lower level of 180/186 Massachusetts Avenue. Note that wait lines can occur early on. If you experience a long line, you may be asked to come back at a later time.
- If you'd like to purchase a Line 6 UX2 audio interface, you may do so using a Master Card or Visa at the Student Computer Support Center for $109.00 plus tax.
- All software is distributed electronically. You will receive an email with instructions on how to download and install the applications.