Welcome to Spring 2018 Registration
The purpose of this manual is to provide you with the information and procedures you will need to register for the spring 2018 semester. Please note that the provisions of this manual do not constitute a contract between the student and Berklee. The sole purpose of this manual is to provide policies and curricular information that are in effect when posted online. Berklee reserves the right to change course content, fees, program requirements, plans of study, schedules, the academic calendar, or to make other changes deemed necessary or desirable. The institution also reserves the right to cancel course sections in which enrollment is not sufficient. Excessive offering of underpopulated course sections will eventually lead to higher tuition costs to students. By combining or eliminating sections of courses, the institution is better able to control tuition increases.
For students either unsure about attending or not planning to attend the spring 2018 semester:
- Staff from the offices of the Registrar, Bursar, Student Financial Services, Student Success and Retention, and Academic Advising are available to help you make the best decision. Please feel free to stop by any of these offices to discuss your circumstances.
- If your decision to attend the spring term comes after the registration period concludes, you should contact the Office of the Registrar.
- If you have decided to not attend this spring but would like to return to Berklee College of Music in a future term, you should complete a Returning Student Intent form.
Instructions for Completing Your Spring 2018 Registration
- Check and confirm your Registration Profile (including your assigned online registration time) as follows:
- Log in to my.berklee.edu (login required);
- Select the “Students” link, then click on the “Registration and Check-In Profile Screen” link in the Registration section; and
- Open your Registration and Check-In Profile to view a variety of important information about you, including the earliest date and time that you may register for spring courses.
- Take advantage of academic advising services by meeting with your academic advisor or faculty departmental advisor. Students at sixth semester standing or higher are encouraged to come in early for advising.
- Students who entered Berklee in fall 2017: please be aware that your SAM and academic advisor will be visiting your LENS class prior to your online registration window to assist you in choosing classes and registering for classes online.
- Read the course descriptions for each course for which you wish to register and ensure that you have the proper prerequisites, corequisites, ensemble ratings, and that each course is electable by you. You must have a passing grade, transfer credit, or credit by exam on record in order to satisfy course prerequisites. The courses in which you are currently enrolled can be used as prerequisites. However, if you do not receive a passing grade for any fall 2017 course that is being used as a prerequisite for a spring 2018 course, you will be removed from that course(s) before the start of that term.
- If you wish to register for a course for which you do not have all the prerequisites, you may petition the course chair to waive the prerequisites restriction(s). Course chairs approve prerequisite waiver appeals at their discretion. When approved, course chairs need to enter a prerequisite waiver into the Colleague computer system before a student can register for the course. Prerequisite waivers are valid for one semester only.
Private Instruction registration requires special course coding. Please reference the chart listing course numbers to use when registering for lessons.
Performance majors registering for private instruction must register for a 30-minute Private Instruction (PIXX) course with a corequisite 30-minute Recital Preparation (RPXX) course. See Performance Majors: Private Instruction and Recital Preparation Requirements for more information.
Students are expected to declare a major by the time they attain a semester level status of three or higher. If you will reach third semester status by this spring and have not yet declared a major, you should do so at the departmental office of your chosen major.
- Students are expected to register for courses online using the instructions found at How to Register Online. Should you need any assistance with learning to register online, staff at the Office of the Registrar, located at 939 Boylston Street, second floor (enter through 921 Boylston Street, third floor) are ready to help you.
- After your initial registration session, you may then add or drop courses as necessary up until stated deadlines.
Seek Out Advising
Although we have tried to be as thorough as possible with the information in this manual, you are still advised to seek academic advisement before registering for spring. Academic advisors in the Academic Advising office, located on the second floor of 939 Boylston Street, encourage you to visit them and ask any questions that you may have. In addition, all academic departments have departmental advisors that are available to assist you with specific concerns about their departments or majors.