POLICY: Regular full-time and regular part-time staff members scheduled to work at least 17.5 hours a week are eligible for paid holidays. Staff members who provide essential services may be required to work on some of these days; most departments will be closed. Berklee observes the following fixed holidays during a calendar year:
Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Indigenous Peoples' Day
Thanksgiving Break (Wednesday–Friday)
Winter Break (December 25–January 1)
Special Religious and Memorial Observances: Berklee recognizes that many staff members celebrate religious holidays and religious memorial observances. With a supervisor's approval, a staff member may take these days as PTO days. Time off should be requested as far in advance as possible. Supervisors should make every effort to accommodate a staff member’s religious beliefs by giving requested time off whenever possible.
Holiday Schedule: Staff who normally work from Monday to Friday will observe a holiday that falls on a Saturday on the preceding Friday and will observe a holiday that falls on Sunday on the following Monday.
Holiday Compensation: Staff members are compensated for holidays as follows:
- Full-time staff members who have the holiday off will be paid for seven or eight hours, depending on the department, at their straight rate of pay.
- Non-exempt hourly paid staff who work alternate or compressed schedules which exceed the seven- or eight-hour standard work day will receive seven or eight hours holiday pay if the holiday falls on a day they are normally scheduled to work. Staff may use PTO time to supplement hours not worked, or the department may modify their schedule to accommodate additional work hours to reach their regular pay for the pay period.
- Non-exempt hourly paid staff who are asked to work on a holiday will be paid for all hours worked. The staff member will then receive seven or eight hours straight-time pay for that holiday, in addition to their regular pay for that week.
- Staff do not receive holiday pay if the holiday falls on a day they are not regularly scheduled to work. They are, however, eligible to take another day off as holiday time within 30 days.
- Part-time staff who work at least 17.5 hours a week will receive pro-rated holiday pay based on their FTE.
Berklee reserves the right to amend, suspend, or cancel this policy at any time, with or without notice. Employees who are covered by a collective bargaining agreement will be governed by the terms and conditions of the current contract.