Berklee in Puerto Rico
Presented by Fundación Banco Popular
May 23–28, 2017
The application will open on February 1, 2017.
The Berklee in Puerto Rico program offers you access to the Berklee method of music education, encompassing theory, ear training, improvisation, ensemble performance, and instrumental instruction. During the program, you may also audition to attend Berklee College of Music in Boston.
Berklee in Puerto Rico, presented by Fundación Banco Popular, is also made possible by the generous contributions of Méndez & Co. Inc.; Liberty Cablevision of Puerto Rico; Carrión, Laffitte & Casellas; Triple-S and Fiddler; and González & Rodríguez PSC.
This application is now closed.
The Berklee in Puerto Rico program includes:
- Harmony and Chord Scales: This lecture will demonstrate how to use contemporary harmony and chord scales to enhance your performance, improvisation, comping, and writing skills.
- Instrumental Technique: You will participate in classes covering techniques specific to their instrument. Insights into practicing and improvisation will be presented.
- Ensembles: You will be assigned an ensemble in order to apply the skills you learned in lecture classes. You will perform in a final concert at the end of the program.
- Special Lectures: Faculty and special guest artists will present master classes on the topics of composition, arranging, and songwriting. You will work in a helpful, noncritical environment with faculty who are world-renowned for their knowledge, teaching skills, and empathy with students.
Berklee in Puerto Rico is made possible with generous support from Berklee alumnus and trustee Luis Alvarez '83, vice president of Mendez & Company, Inc. and executive producer of the Puerto Rico Heineken JazzFest. In addition to helping coordinate the program, Alvarez and his corporation will donate $20,000 for the Mendez & Co. Puerto Rico Heineken JazzFest Scholarship, which will be awarded at the end of the Berklee in Puerto Rico program.
For more details about the Puerto Rico Heineken Jazz Festival, please visit prheinekenjazz.com
Ave. Manuel Fernández Juncos
Carolina, Puerto Rico
Berklee in Puerto Rico faculty will include:
- Fernando Huergo (academic director, bass), professor, Bass Department
- Eguie Castrillo (hand percussion), associate professor, Percussion Department
- Allan Chase (woodwinds), chair, Ear Training Department
- David Gilmore (guitar), associate professor, Guitar Department
- Greg Hopkins (trumpet), professor, Jazz Composition Department
- Ayn Inserto (piano), associate professor, Jazz Composition Department
- Cava Menzies '01 (voice), Berklee alumna
- Bob Pilkington (trombone), professor, Jazz Composition Department
- Casey Scheuerell (drum set), professor, Percussion Department
Information about the 2017 program tuition fee will updated in the coming weeks.
For more information, please contact:
Office of Global Initiatives
Berklee College of Music
1140 Boylston Street, MS-855 GI
Boston, MA 02215-3693 U.S.A.
Telephone: + 1 617-747-2700 or
Toll-free at 877-Berklee (U.S. and Canada)