Berklee in Puerto Rico
Presented by Fundación Banco Popular
May 28–June 2, 2019
Applications for this program are now open.
The Berklee in Puerto Rico program offers you access to the Berklee method of music education, encompassing theory, ear training, improvisation, ensemble performance, and instrumental instruction. During the program, you may also audition to attend Berklee College of Music in Boston.
Click here to apply for this program. The preferred filing deadline is April 19, 2019, though we will continue to accept applications after that date. However, spaces fill up quickly for certain instruments, so we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.
This program is open to residents of Puerto Rico only. You must be at least 15 years old by the start of the program, and you must have been playing your instrument (or singing) for a minimum of six months to attend the program. You will need to submit supporting material demonstrating your musical experience and abilities. The preferred format is links to videos or audio demonstrating your musical abilities.
The Berklee in Puerto Rico program includes:
- Harmony and Chord Scales: This lecture will demonstrate how to use contemporary harmony and chord scales to enhance your performance, improvisation, comping, and writing skills.
- Instrumental Technique: You will participate in classes covering techniques specific to your instrument. Insights into practicing and improvisation will be presented.
- Ensembles: You will be assigned an ensemble in order to apply the skills you learned in lecture classes. You will perform in a final concert at the end of the program.
- Special Lectures: Faculty and special guest artists will present master classes on the topics of composition, arranging, and songwriting. You will work in a helpful, noncritical environment with faculty who are world-renowned for their knowledge, teaching skills, and empathy with students.
Berklee in Puerto Rico is made possible with generous support from Berklee alumnus and program founder Luis Alvarez '83.
A limited number of places are available in a program track that would allow eligible applicants to take this program for one college credit at a tuition fee of $200 USD.
Participants who are accepted into the for-credit track, in addition to taking the standard schedule of classes, will have an additional requirement for a final presentation to the special lecture group as part of their afternoon classwork. This will include an evaluation of both their performance in the final concert with their ensemble and an their final presentation.
Applicants who are accepted to this track will receive complete details after receiving their program decision.
All candidates will receive the same evaluation process, regardless of your preference for program track, so please select the option that is most appealing for you. Applicants who are not accepted to the for-credit program may still be accepted to the standard program.
Universidad del Sagrado Corazón (USC)
Esq. San Antonio
Pda 26 1/2
Santurce, Puerto Rico 00914
- Eguie Castrillo, Percussion
- Rebecca Cline, Piano
- Chantel Hampton, Voice
- Fernando Huergo, Bass
- Daryl Lowery, Woodwinds
- Jason Palmer, Trumpet
- Rick Peckham, Guitar
- Bob Pilkington, Trombone
- Casey Scheuerell, Drums
- Chrissy Tignor, Music Production and Technology
Classes will generally run from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. each day.
You are required to make your own housing arrangements.
General program tuition is $65. College credit tuition is $200.
Applicants who submit their application by the preferred filing deadline of April 19, 2019, will receive their decision on April 26, 2019. Applications submitted after this date will be notified by May 15, 2019. Spaces fill up quickly for certain instruments, so we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.
For more information, please contact:
Office of Global Initiatives
Berklee College of Music
1140 Boylston Street, MS-855 GI
Boston, MA 02215-3693 U.S.A.
Telephone: 617-747-2700, or toll-free: 877-Berklee (U.S. and Canada)