Center for Writing and English as a Second Language
The Center for Writing and English as a Second Language (ESL) helps students, staff, and faculty with written work related to courses, other academic purposes, or career development. We provide a staff of trained writing experts who have experience in academic and creative writing as well as publishing.
The Center also provides a home for tutoring in ESL, Spanish, Japanese, French, mathematics, acoustics, statistics, and other liberal arts courses. We provide a unique program of peer tutoring to assist non-English speaking students with their coursework, and to supplement foreign language classes with regular support sessions conducted in target languages. As a resource center for the Liberal Arts Department, we offer specialized assistance.
The Center for Writing and ESL's goals include:
- helping to improve writing skills for the Berklee community through one-on-one contact with trained writing tutors and experienced faculty members;
- assisting the Berklee community with written assignments from any course, ESL-related work, career development writing (such as resumes and press kits), research and grant proposals, scholarship essays, applications for internships, and other kinds of writing;
- teaching students to help themselves (we encourage students to be actively involved in sessions and in the revision process); and
- helping students become more confident in expressing their ideas in writing.
The Center for Writing and ESL is also:
- an integral part of coursework (at the request of professors);
- a faculty and staff resource that can help produce professional and creative writing to help faculty and staff meet their goals;
- a crucial component in student retention that helps all domestic and international students, and especially at-risk students, find success in courses that might otherwise be their downfall; and
- a vital career resource that can help students develop the written materials they will need to succeed outside of Berklee.