Center for Writing and English as a Second Language
The Center for Writing and ESL helps students, staff, and faculty with written work related to courses, other academic purposes, or career development. We provide a staff of trained writing experts, who have experience in academic and creative writing, as well as publishing.
The Center also provides a home for tutoring in English as a Second Language, Spanish, Japanese, French, Mathematics, Acoustics, and other Liberal Arts Courses. We provide a unique program of peer tutoring to assist non-English speaking students with their coursework, and to supplement foreign language classes with regular support sessions conducted in target languages. As a resource center for Liberal Arts, we offer specialized assistance.
The Center for Writing and ESL:
- helps improve writing skills for the Berklee community through one-on-one contact with trained writing tutors and experienced faculty members;
- assists the Berklee community with written assignments from any course, ESL-related work, career development writing (such as resumes and press kits), research and grant proposals, scholarship essays, applications for internships, and other kinds of writing;
- teaches students to help themselves. (We encourage students to be actively involved in sessions and in the revision process.);
- helps students become more confident in expressing their ideas in writing.
An integral part of coursework
- At the request of professors, the Writing Center can be made an integral part of a class.
A faculty and staff resource
Helping faculty and staff with their writing:
- Berklee faculty and staff produce professional and creative writing. We hope that we can help them achieve their writing goals.
Helping faculty use writing in their courses
- The Writing Center is a resource for all faculty members who wish to use writing in their courses.
Improving student retention
- The Writing Center provides support for all students, domestic and international, helping them find success in courses that might otherwise prove their downfall.
Helping at-risk students
- The Writing Center provides critical support for at-risk students.
Helping students succeed in their careers and the world outside the college
- The Writing Center can help with resumes, cover letters, press kits, web page content, and other written material needed to succeed outside Berklee.