Richard "Gus" Sebring
"To sit onstage in Symphony Hall among the most refined orchestral musicians in the world is an incredible experience. Players at the highest level demonstrate a complete mastery of instrumental technique, an amazing degree of finesse, consistency of intonation and rhythm, and a lyric, deeply emotive radiance."
"The goal in my teaching is to maximize the development of Berklee's brass players, cultivating fine technique and musicianship, enabling them to discover their full potential while enhancing the quality of Berklee's fine ensembles. In addition to studio lessons, Berklee horn students perform for their peers and play as a section in a workshop environment several times each semester, where we all critique each other and share information in order to help each performer play as well as possible."
"My own varied musical path has led from a progressive, original rock band in the '70s, to playing in the BSO since 1981 under such luminaries as Leonard Bernstein, Simon Rattle, Seiji Ozawa, John Williams, and James Levine. In the Boston Pops we frequently collaborate with such diverse artists as Sting, Wynton Marsalis, Ben Folds, James Taylor, Ozomatli, Bono, Amanda Palmer, Steven Tyler, Tom Morello, Chick Corea, Yo-Yo Ma, and many more. I've also arranged and performed charts featuring the mellophonium and horn for the Boston Pops with Keith Lockhart."
"Being versatile and tech savvy is essential these days, and I encourage students to develop their recording and producing skills. Those skills have enabled me to share my own horn work worldwide via the internet, directly from my home studio. A lifetime passion for the recording arts has also led to commercial work including many studio sessions with film composers, some involving improvisation over previously laid down tracks."
"The debt I owe to my wonderful teachers and colleagues is repaid to my Berklee students. Developing their talents and encouraging them to find and follow their own passion is one of the greatest joys of my life."
- B.M., University of Washington
- Studies at Indiana University and New England Conservatory
- Associate principal horn for the Boston Symphony Orchestra
- Principal horn and arranger for the Boston Pops
- Faculty, New England Conservatory and Tanglewood Music Center
- Founder of Musketaquid Music
- Emmy-nominated composer and arranger
- Solo horn on John Williams's film score for Saving Private Ryan and horn on James Taylor's October Road CD
- Regular session hornist for Mason Daring, Sheldon Mirowitz, and John Kusiak
- Recorded horn samples for both Kurzweil and Yamaha libraries