"My approach to teaching is tailored to the individual student. Each student is unique in his or her strengths, weaknesses, goals, and desires. Therefore, I try to custom design each individual's private lessons, so that strengths are reinforced, weaknesses are strengthened, and every student's goals and desires are reached, or at least moved closer."
"My own performance background is a huge influence on the way I teach. What I have to say in the classroom is directly related to my performance experiences. Once students get a solid mastery of the basics, I teach them how all that theory information they've been learning can be used practically, in real life playing."
"Teaching at Berklee has many benefits. It helps me to keep current with new players, techniques, bands, gear, etc. The faculty here are involved in their own performing projects—which makes them better teachers. Faculty members and students come from many different countries, so we have the opportunity to play with people from all over the world. And, most importantly, we get to help students learn and grow as musicians."
- B.M., Berklee College of Music
- Numerous performances as leader of own band and member of the Jon Finn Group
- Appearances with Eguie Castrillo, Tom Coster, Jeff Golub, Dino Govoni, Mike Mangini, Steve Morse, John Petrucci, and Joey Franco
- Leader on solo CDs Straight Shooter and The Scenic Route on Audio Image Records
- Played on Ross Ramsay’s CD Late September (2005), Sal DiFusco’s CD Great Exploits (2003), and Jon Finn’s guitar book DVD for Mel Bay Publications (2006)
- Staff writer for Bass Frontiers magazine
- Performances and clinics at Berklee in Los Angeles and Berklee in Argentina programs, and the United States University Performing Artist Series in Costa Rica
- Currently working on finger funk bass line book for Hal Leonard/Berklee Press and next solo CD
- Former students include Tom Hamilton (Aerosmith), John Myung (Dream Theater), Chris Loftlin (Brian McKnight), Bryan Bellar (Dweezil Zappa), Chris Chaney (Jane’s Addiction/Alanis Morrisette)