Applying for the Music Education Major:
Cumulative GPA over 2.76
If you are enrolled at Berklee and are considering music education as your major, you must first successfully complete the course Introduction to Music Education (ME-111). If you are at midterm in the course and successful to date, or you have completed the course, you may apply to the major.
- Go to the Music Education office (22 Fenway, Room 318) to get an application form, or download the form here: Application.pdf
- Once you have completed all parts of the application, please return your documents to the Music Education office.
- You will make an appointment for an official interview upon submitting your application.
- Bring your principal instrument and your completed application form to the interview. We will provide a piano, guitar, CD player, and an amplifier.
Sign-Ups and Interviews:Deadlines for the applications to the major will be announced online and posted at the Music Education Department office. Your interview will take place in the Music Education Department classroom (22 Fenway, Room 304) and will be 20-30 minutes long.
Once your interview has been completed, you will be notified by the Music Education Department as to your standing as a music education major. If your application has been approved, you will be allowed to officially declare the major. Successful completion of this process entitles you to enroll in courses in the major beyond the introductory course.
Please contact department coordinator Bobbi Harman in the Music Education office with any questions. She can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone at 617 747-2425, or in person in room 318 in the 22 Fenway building.
Music Education Facilities and Resources
The Music Education Department has full use of the Professional Education Division Technology Lab, a 22-workstation classroom and laboratory equipped with a variety of music and multimedia-related software for music education students to learn, and experiment with, the latest technology available for music instruction.
Public Accreditation and Certification Documents
Massachusetts Department of Education regulations require that college teacher preparation programs undergo a thorough program-approval process, conducted by a visiting team from the state education department, every five years in order to remain in good standing. Berklee College of Music recently completed this process for the next five-year interval and received its letter of approval from the commissioner of education. The following are all the documents related to this process:
- Music Education Department Self-Study Report (PDF)
- Program-Approval Visiting Team Report (PDF)
- Music Education Department Response to Visiting Team Report (PDF)
- Music Education Department Response to Program-Approval Director (PDF)
- Program-Approval Notification (PDF)
For Further Information
For further information about the Music Education Department, please email Bobbi Harman at email@example.com or call 617 747-2425.