Your voice: it’s your instrument. Explore the world of contemporary vocal music in your choice of style: pop-rock, pop and R&B, jazz, and musical theater. Open to vocalists, singer-songwriters, and instrumentalists who sing, this five-day program will provide you with instruction in vocal technique, style, performance skills, singing with a band, group singing, and a cappella performance.
|Program length:||Five days|
|Program dates:||Monday, June 19–Friday, June 23, 2017|
|Move in starting:||Monday, June 19, 2017, at 9:00 a.m.|
|Move out by:||Friday, June 23, 2017, at 7:00 p.m.|
|Age range:||15 years and older|
*Nonrefundable and nontransferable. Program information subject to change.
- Choose one style you would like to focus on: either pop-rock, pop and R&B, jazz, or musical theater. Your style choice will be used for placement in an ensemble and in a solo coaching class.
- Prepare four songs that you're confident in performing (preferably from memory) for your solo coaching class. For all styles except musical theater, you will be singing these songs with a band with instrumentation of piano, guitar, bass, and drums; musical theater is piano only. Bring four copies of the sheet music for each song you’ll sing, making sure the sheet music is in a comfortable key for you.
- Stay connected. You will receive additional preparation instructions as the program nears. Be sure to read email updates as they arrive.
- Students are not required to bring a microphone but may choose to do so. If you do bring a mic, label it so you don't lose it or get it mixed up with someone else's.
Though not required, you are permitted to bring laptops, computers, tablets, etc. Wireless internet and electrical outlet plugs are provided throughout the campus. Please keep in mind that it is your responsibility to keep your items safe. Berklee is not responsible for the loss of these items.
You will receive an individualized schedule of times and locations for all classes, clinics, performances, and special events at the time of registration.
Vocal ensembles are groups of 20–40 singers directed by Berklee faculty and accompanied by a rhythm section. Each ensemble will perform one musical selection at the final concert.
Solo coaching classes are smaller classes where each singer performs a solo song accompanied by a rhythm section (except musical theater track). Students should prepare four songs to perform, preferably from memory. Students should provide four copies of sheet music for each song.
Workshops, which students can choose, are presented on a variety of topics. This year’s topics include the following:
- Vocal Technique
- Vocal Life: Tune into Your Sound and Story
- Dance Styles for Singers
- Ear Up for Scatting: Aural Awareness and Improv
- Vox One A Cappella Performance and Clinic
- Gospel Music and Its Influence
- Ace the Audition with Ana Guigui
- Empowerment for the Emerging Artist
- R&B Improvisation
- Sing It Like You Mean It
- How to Record and Mix Vocals
- Nail the Audition
- Getting Your (Act) Together
- Everything You've Always Wanted to Know about Background Singing
- Scat Workshop: Try, Create, Enjoy
- Soul, R&B: The Past, Present, and Future
- Microphones and PA for Singer
Please note: the following schedule and course descriptions are only a sample and are subject to change. You will receive personalized schedules on the first day of the program.
|8:00 a.m.–9:00 a.m.||Breakfast Break|
|9:00 a.m.–11:00 a.m.||Ensemble/Solo Coaching|
|11:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m.||Ensemble/Solo Coaching|
|1:00 p.m.–2:00 p.m.||Lunch Break|
|2:00 p.m.–4:00 p.m.||Meet the Guest Artist/Q&A|
|4:00 p.m.–6:00 p.m.||Workshop|
|6:00 p.m.–7:00 p.m.||Dinner Break|
|7:00 p.m.||Guest Performance|
Berklee faculty members, along with special guest clinicians, teach Vocal Summit classes, performances, and special events. Berklee's Voice Department faculty members are innovative educators as well as experienced professional musicians. Their expertise in contemporary vocal techniques and technology make them invaluable as teachers.
The Vocal Summit summer faculty includes:
- Adrian Sicam
- Alison Wedding
- Alli Beaudry
- Ana Guigui
- Bradford Gleim
- Cassandre McKinley
- Chantel Hampton
- Christiane Karam
- Christine Fawson
- Clare McLeod
- Darcel Wilson
- David Thorne Scott
- Gabrielle Goodman
- Gwen Leathers
- Jamie Lynn Hart
- Janice Pendarvis
- Janie Barnett
- Jeffrey Ramsey
- Jerome Kyles
- Kaoruko Pilkington
- Kathleen Flynn
- Kaye Kelly
- Kris Adams
- Kristin Cifeli
- Kristin Holland Bohr
- Linda Balliro
- Lorree K. Slye
- Maureen McMullan
- Michael Johnson
- Ned Rosenblatt
- Patrice Williamson
- Paul Pampinella
- Rebecca Shrimpton
- Sarah Brindell
- Sarah Kervin
- Tom Baskett