Music Production Workshop
Explore modern record production, multitrack recording and mixing techniques, and critical listening skills in our 12-week online Music Production Workshop. Whether you’re a beginner or already know your way around ProTools, this is a space for you to advance your production skills while learning from experienced Berklee faculty and guest artists through live class sessions and independent coursework. Receiving a final grade of B or higher earns you three college credits, which can be applied to an undergraduate program at Berklee or another college or university.
2020 Program Information
|Program dates:||Monday, June 15–Friday, September 4, 2020|
|Registration fee:||$50 (nonrefundable, nontransferable)|
|Age range:||14 years old and older|
- Please note: when registering for this program, please select Non-Degree (Summer and Extension Programs) as the level and Berklee Boston Summer Program as the application type.
The online summer experience is tailored to your skill level and musical interests. You’ll choose your track from these diverse Berklee Online music production courses:
- Art of Mixing: Explore the many creative and technical considerations necessary to mix in today's music production environment. Acquire the core skill set needed to mix multitrack master recordings to a stereo, final mix-down suitable for release.
- Critical Listening 1: Create compelling, professional-sounding songs by learning to identify the production elements that contribute to a well-balanced, artful, and professional mix.
- Music Production Analysis: Develop the skills to listen to music like a seasoned music producer. Learn to identify the elements of effective records, and gain the skills to bring these elements to your own productions.
- Pro Tools 101: Pro Tools 101 constitutes the first stage of Avid's Pro Tools certification program. Learn the foundational skills needed to understand Pro Tools technology and software. This course instructs you on recording, editing, and mixing on a basic level, and will put you on the road to becoming a Pro Tools operator from home.
- Vocal Production: This course guides you through the essential concepts and methods to master the craft of vocal production. You will learn the technical aspects of working with vocals and the personal, artistic aspects of working with a vocalist to achieve the best performance—skills that can be applied to many roles from engineer to producer to artist.
Additionally, the Music Production Workshop offers opportunities for students to connect with each other and attend visiting artist master classes and faculty presentations.
You'll participate in five or six hours of required coursework per week. You'll have live class sessions with your Berklee instructors and fellow students along with independent coursework that can be completed on your own schedule. Classes will meet regularly at defined times, and you are expected to attend each live class if you can. Recordings of all classes will be archived to accommodate students in different time zones or with schedule issues.
All students 14 and older with some background in production are welcome to attend.
For this program, you should have access to a computer with the latest version of Google Chrome, a webcam, speakers or headphones, an external or internal microphone, and a broadband internet connection. There may be some additional requirements, depending on your chosen track. Please review the requirements before selecting your track.
Digital audio workstations (DAWs) are not included in the cost of tution. Please make sure to purchase the DAWs you need to complete your coursework before the start of the program.