Musical Theater Intensive
Do you dream of taking the stage in a musical production? You can hone your theater chops with professional-level musical performance training in this five-day course, culminating in a final showcase. The week is filled with core classes and electives, Q&A sessions with visiting musical theater artists, and a rigorous rehearsal schedule.
2017 Visting Artists:
|Program length:||Six days|
|Program dates:||Sunday, August 13–Friday, August 18, 2017|
|Move in starting:||Sunday, August 13, 2017, at 10:00 a.m.|
|Move out by:||Friday, August 18, 2017, at 7:00 p.m.|
|Age range:||15 years and older|
*Nonrefundable and nontransferable. Program information subject to change.
As a student in the Musical Theater Intensive program, you are expected to bring the following items:
- Dance/jazz shoes for an indoor dance floor
- Tap shoes if choosing a tap elective
- All-black clothes and shoes
- Clothes for class and rehearsal
- 8" x 11" notebook, folder, pencil, eraser, black sharpie, and highlighter
- Refillable water bottle
- Hair ties, clips, or pins (hair must be kept out of eyes)
- Tape recorder or phone recording app
- Acoustic instrument (optional)
You are permitted to bring laptops, computers, tablets, etc., although it is not required. Wireless internet and electrical outlet plugs are provided throughout the campus. Please keep in mind that it is your responsibility to keep your items safe. Berklee is not responsible for the loss of these items.
Two 16- to 32-Bar Selections
Video Placement Audition
- For classes and rehearsal: Wear dance or activewear, and bring socks, tennis shoes/Toms, and any dance shoes, including character heels, that you already own. You may be rolling around or lying on the ground, stretching upside down, and moving in unexpected ways, so wear clothes that will stay in place and give you complete range of motion. Don't wear jeans (not even jeggings), sandals, flip-flops, or other footwear that could fly off. Bring hair accessories if needed to keep your hair secure and away from your face. You will get sweaty. Consider two sets of clothes for the day, a towel, and deodorant. Wear what you might wear for yoga or martial arts practice. Your teachers will inform you if your attire is inappropriate for the activity.
- For performance: Bring a variety of black clothing and black socks, tights, and shoes. Additionally your practice audition outfit may also be used for performance, depending on your ensemble director's preferences. If you wear makeup on stage or in life, bring that as well. Stage lighting tends to wash faces out.
- For the practice audition: As teens, for general auditions you'll want to wear something that makes you look your best and feel confident, and shows off your personality. Wear clothes that fit you well with no rips, holes, or visible logos. Your shoes should be clean and in good condition. You may not wear hats, but you may wear any other accessories that suit the outfit. Your hair should be out of your face to see your eyes and expressions clearly. If you wear makeup, don't wear any more than you typically would. Your outfit could be as dressed down as jeans and a nicely fitting tee-shirt with sneakers or boots, or more dressed up with a button-down shirt, dress shoes, or heels. Ultimately, wear something that you feel good in that makes you look good, too.
- Dance and Movement for the Stage
- Acting Technique
Please note: The following schedule and course descriptions are only a sample and are subject to change. You will receive personalized schedules on the first day of the program.
|8:00 a.m.–9:00 a.m.||Breakfast|
|9:00 a.m.–10:00 a.m.||Choir Rehearsal|
|10:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m.||Core Curriculum: Dance, Voice, Acting|
|1:00 p.m.–2:00 p.m.||Lunch|
|2:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.||Master Class|
|3:30 p.m.–3:45 p.m.||Break|
|3:45 p.m.–4:45 p.m.||Elective|
|4:45 p.m.–5:00 p.m.||Break|
|5:00 p.m.–6:00 p.m.||Ensemble Rehearsal|
|6:00 p.m.–7:00 p.m.||Dinner|
|7:00 p.m.–9:00 p.m.||Ensemble Rehearsal|
|9:00 p.m.–10:00 p.m.||Free Time|
|10:00 p.m.–11:30 p.m.||Return to Dorms for Curfew|
Faculty subject to change