Gospel Performance Program
Embrace the style of gospel in this five-day program for vocalists or instrumentalists. Led by Berklee faculty and esteemed guest clinicians, you will be immersed in the gospel tradition through courses in technique, group rehearsal, and the evolution of gospel. Discover gospel's cultural relevance today, and develop your skills as a performer.
2020 Visiting Artist: Donald Lawrence
2020 Program Information
|Program dates:||Monday, August 17–Friday, August 21, 2020|
|Registration fee:||$50 (nonrefundable, nontransferable)|
|Payment deadline:||July 1, 2020|
|Move out:||Friday, August 21 by 7:00 p.m.|
|Age range:||15 years and older|
- Please note: This program has limited capacity. Submission of registration materials alone does not guarantee participation in the program. You will secure your spot by paying in full. When the program capacity has been reached, registrants who have not paid in full will be placed on a waitlist.
The Gospel Performance Program offers ensemble rehearsal, technique-in-performance classes, and gospel history discussions. Classes will be led by Berklee faculty and visiting artists who are trained in the gospel tradition.
Every participant's schedule will include a class in each of the following:
- Ensemble: Rehearse with other vocalists and instrumentalists to perform in a final concert. Friends and family will not want to miss this performance.
- Performance Classes: Develop techniques appropriate for the style in this smaller class setting.
- History: Study the roots of the gospel tradition through the evolution of gospel music today. Explore gospel's cultural relevancy and connection to contemporary music.
Below is a sample of a typical day in the program.
|8:00 a.m.–9:00 a.m.||Breakfast|
|9:00 a.m.–10:15 a.m.||Gospel History|
|10:30 a.m.–12:00 p.m.||Performance Class|
|12:00 p.m.–1:00 p.m.||Lunch|
|1:00 p.m.–2:30 p.m.||Performance Class|
|2:45 p.m.–4:30 p.m.||Ensemble Rehearsal|
|5:00 p.m.–7:00 p.m.||Dinner|
|7:30 p.m.–9:30 p.m.||Evening Activities|
Schedule subject to change
The program will feature a final concert on Thursday evening. Students will perform the repertoire they have been rehearsing in their ensembles.
This performance is free and open to friends and family.
All students 15 and older with six months of playing or vocal experience are welcome to attend.
Students should bring their instrument and any necessary accessories. Pianos, organs, and drums will be provided, though drummers should bring their cymbals, hi-hat, and stick bag. We provide amplifiers for all participants to use in our ensembles for rehearsal and final performances. No amplifiers are provided for use in practice rooms, so you may elect to bring a set of practice headphones and a small practice amplifier.
If you intend to stay in the Berklee residence halls while participating in the program, please also review what to bring for your room on the housing page.
- Explore more of Berklee! When you register for the Gospel Performance Program, you can also register for Aspire: Five-Week Music Performance Intensive to extend your stay at Berklee.