Drums and Percussion Workshop
Explore the possibilities in a world of rhythm. Whether you play drum set, percussion, or mallets, this program will enrich your repertoire as you discover different techniques for improvisation, performing, and instrument proficiency. Improve your overall musicianship while expanding your knowledge of musical styles.
2021 Program Information
|Program dates:||Friday, June 11–Sunday, June 13, 2021|
|Registration fee:||$50 (nonrefundable, nontransferable)|
|Payment deadline:||May 1, 2021|
|Move out:||Sunday, June 13 by 7:00 p.m.|
|Age range:||15 years and older|
- Please note: This program has limited capacity. Submission of registration materials alone does not guarantee participation in the program. You will secure your spot by paying in full. When the program capacity has been reached, registrants who have not paid in full will be placed on a waitlist.
The Drums and Percussion Workshop offers principal instrument classes, ensembles, master classes, faculty concerts, and jam sessions. Classes will be led by faculty in Berklee's Percussion Department and esteemed visiting artists.
Every participant's schedule will include a class in each of the following:
- Principal Instrument Class: In this smaller class setting, you'll work with a faculty member to improve technique on your instrument.
- Ensemble: Rehearse with other instrumentalists, and explore a variety of styles.
- Master Classes: Attend master clasess led by faculty on different practice, technique, and performance methods.
- Faculty Concerts: Explore new styles as you take in performances by our renowned Percussion Department faculty.
- Jam Sessions: Play with other students and faculty members in various styles in this informal performance opportunity.
Below is a sample of a typical day in the program.
|8:00 a.m.–9:00 a.m.||Breakfast|
|9:00 a.m.–10:50 a.m.||Master Class|
|11:00 a.m.–12:50 p.m.||Principal Instrument Class|
|1:00 p.m.–1:50 p.m.||Lunch|
|2:00 p.m.–3:50 p.m.||Ensemble|
|4:00 p.m.–5:30 p.m.||Master Class|
|5:30 p.m.–6:20 p.m.||Dinner|
|6:30 p.m.–7:30 p.m.||Faculty Concert|
|8:00 p.m.–9:15 p.m.||Faculty Concert|
|9:30 p.m.–10:15 p.m.||Jam Sessions|
Schedule subject to change
The program will feature several jam sessions where students can perform with other students and faculty.
All performances are free and open to friends and family.
All students 15 and older with six months of playing experience are welcome to attend.
Upon arrival, participants are required to perform a placement audition. Be prepared to play a short piece of music no more than two minutes long. Your audition piece will help the audition team measure your ability and place you in the appropriate classes. You do not need to read music, but if you do, you will be asked to demonstrate your skills in this area.
All instruments, except steelpan, will be provided in classes. Students should bring their own stick bag.
If you intend to stay in the Berklee residence halls while participating in the program, please also review what to bring for your room on the housing page.