Day Sessions: Music
It’s never too early to get a taste of Berklee. For middle school students of all levels, styles, and backgrounds, Berklee offers a flexible day-session format available in one-, two-, three-, and four-week programs. Start to develop your performance skills, explore various musical styles, and learn from members of the Berklee community and leaders in the music industry.
2020 Program Information
|Week 1||Monday, July 13–Friday, July 17, 2020|
|Week 2||Monday, July 20–Friday, July 24, 2020|
|Week 3||Monday, July 27–Friday, July 31, 2020|
|Week 4||Monday, August 3–Friday, August 7, 2020|
|Registration fee:||$50 (nonrefundable)|
|Payment deadline:||June 1, 2020|
|Week 1||Monday, July 13, 2020, between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m.|
|Week 2||Monday, July 20, 2020, between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m.|
|Week 3||Monday, July 27, 2020, between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m.|
|Week 4||Monday, August 3, 2020, between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m.|
|Age range:||12–14 years old|
- Please note: This program has limited capacity. Submission of registration materials alone does not guarantee participation in the program. You will secure your spot by paying in full. When the program capacity has been reached, registrants who have not paid in full will be placed on a waitlist.
At Day Sessions: Music, students will participate in several core classes throughout the week.
- Group lessons: Take group lessons with other students who have similar abilities on your chosen instrument (including voice) each day.
- Mixed ensembles: Perform with a group of students in a variety of styles.
- Music theory: Enhance your understanding of music theory and how it applies to your instrument.
- Elective: Take an elective in songwriting, improvisation, or introduction to music technology.
- Clinics: Attend clinics and master classes conducted by Berklee faculty and visiting artists.
Below is a sample of a typical day in the program.
|8:00 a.m.–9:00 a.m.||Ensembles|
|9:00 a.m.–11:00 a.m.||Music Theory or Electives|
|11:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.||Ensembles|
|12:00 p.m.–1:00 p.m.||Lunch|
|1:00 p.m.–2:00 p.m.||Lessons or Labs|
|2:00 p.m.–3:00 p.m.||Clinics|
Schedule subject to change
Each week will culminate in a final ensemble performance on Friday. Students will be assigned one of Berklee's many performance venues in the beginning of the week.
All performances are free and open to friends and family.
All students age 12–14 with six months of playing or singing experience are welcome to attend. This program accomodates all levels, styles, and backgrounds.
You will have a brief audition at registration to determine what level of classes and ensembles best suit your needs. It is not required that you read music. However, if you do, we would like to determine at what level you are able to read. You will be grouped into classes with students who share your stylistic preferences (rock, jazz, funk/fusion, or R&B) and who match your current level of ability.
Below is a list of items you should be prepared to bring:
- Your instrument and necessary music supplies
- A notebook, highlighter, pen, and pencil
- Money for snacks (optional)