Learn what it means to become a versatile performer. Hosted by the Berklee Bass Department and Victor Wooten, you'll expand your musical vocabulary by experiencing a diverse range of styles. Improve your overall musicianship, apply new techniques to your performance, and develop an appreciation for new styles of music.
2021 Program Information
|Program dates:||Friday, June 11–Sunday, June 13, 2021|
|Registration fee:||$50 (nonrefundable, nontransferable)|
|Payment deadline:||May 1, 2021|
|Move out:||Sunday, June 13 by 7:00 p.m.|
|Age range:||15 years and older|
- Please note: This program has limited capacity. Submission of registration materials alone does not guarantee participation in the program. You will secure your spot by paying in full. When the program capacity has been reached, registrants who have not paid in full will be placed on a waitlist.
The Bass Workshop offers master classes, clinics, faculty concerts, and jam sessions. Classes will be led by faculty in Berklee's Bass Department, including Victor Wooten.
Every participant's schedule will include a class in each of the following:
- Master classes: Attend small-group, lesson-format master clasess led by hand-picked faculty on different practice, technique, and performance methods.
- Clinics: Steve Bailey, Victor Wooten, and special guests will present clinics on ear training, theory, and general musicianship
- Ensembles: Expand your rhythmic, harmonic, and melodic skills in small ensembles each day.
- Faculty concerts: Explore new styles as you take in the performances by our renowned Bass Department faculty. Friday evening's concert will feature all of the Bass faculty, and Saturday evening's concert will feature Steve Bailey and Victor Wooten.
- Jam sessions: Play with other students and faculty members in various styles through this informal performance opportunity.
Below is a sample of a typical day in the program.
|8:00 a.m.–9:00 a.m.||Breakfast|
|9:00 a.m.–9:30 a.m.||Announcements|
|9:30 a.m.–11:00 a.m.||Clinic with Steve Bailey and Victor Wooten|
|11:15 a.m.–12:45 p.m.||Master Class|
|1:00 p.m.–2:00 p.m.||Lunch|
|2:15 p.m.–3:45 p.m.||Ensembles|
|4:00 p.m.–5:30 p.m.||Faculty Q&A|
|5:45 p.m.–7:15 p.m.||Dinner|
|7:30 p.m.–9:00 p.m.||Faculty Concert|
|9:15 p.m.–10:15 p.m.||Jam Sessions|
Schedule subject to change
The program will feature several jam sessions where students can apply new techniques from master classes and perform with other students and faculty, including Victor Wooten.
All performances are free and open to friends and family.
All students 15 and older with six months of playing experience on electric or acoustic bass are welcome to attend.
Students should bring their instrument and any necessary accessories. We provide amplifiers for all participants to use in our classes. Amplifiers are not provided for use in practice rooms, so you may elect to bring a set of practice headphones and a small practice amplifier.
If you intend to stay in the Berklee residence halls while participating in the program, please also review what to bring for your room on the housing page.