PODCAST: Weakened Friends
With roots in Boston and Portland, Maine, indie rock trio Weakened Friends includes bassist and 2009 Berklee alumna Annie Hoffman, who engineered the group’s most recent EP, Crushed, a high-energy, hook-laden, pop-punk trek through a dark and distortion-filled forest. Hoffman is joined by guitarist and vocalist Sonia Sturino and drummer Cam Jones, and the EP’s title track features gang vocals by a platoon of enthusiastic Berklee students.
The group will tour the eastern half of the U.S. (see dates below) after performing at this year’s South by Southwest (SXSW) Festival in Austin, Texas, where they will meet up and perform with several other Berklee alumni and student bands for SXSW’s Boston and Beyond party on St. Patrick's Day (March 17), hosted by Vanyaland and Berklee, and presented by the Red Room at Cafe 939 with the Berklee Popular Music Institute and its student-run label, Heavy Rotation Records.
Weakened Friends has a new EP in the pipeline for the spring as well as a full-length album slated for the fall, and the nascent group has already opened up for fellow Boston-based rockers Letters to Cleo in New York City. This episode of Sounds of Berklee features the closing track from Weakened Friends' Crushed EP, "i dont."
- March 15: Austin, Texas (SXSW)
- March 16: Austin, Texas (Counter Intuitive Records Party at SXSW)
- March 17: Austin, Texas (Berklee/Vanyaland Showcase at SXSW)
- March 18: Dallas, Texas (Sofar Sounds)
- March 19: Austin, Texas (SXSW)
- March 21: Nashville, Tennessee (House Show)
- March 22: Chattanooga, Tennessee (Sluggo's North Vegetarian Cafe)
- March 23: Charleston, West Virginia (House Show)
- March 24: Baltimore, Maryland (The Windup Space)
- March 25: Portsmouth, New Hampshire (3S Artspace)
- March 30: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (JJ's Diner)
- March 31: Asbury Park, New Jersey (Asbury Park Music Foundation/Lakehouse Recording Studios)
- April 1: New York City (Manhattan), New York (Mercury Lounge)
- April 4: Southbridge, Massachusetts (Starlite)
- April 5: Boston, Massachusetts (Great Scott)
- April 6: Providence, Rhode Island (Dusk)
- April 7: Bangor, Maine (Central Gallery)
- April 22: Scarborough, Maine (Record Store Day special new release at Bull Moose)