All students who declare and enter a major in any of five tech-heavy departments (singularly or in conjunction with another major), are required to purchase a major bundle and to own a laptop computer that meets the standards of the college. Unlike the licensed software that is part of the Berklee laptop requirement, major bundle components are purchased and owned by participating students, who are responsible for registering the software in a timely manner, saving any receipts and other documentation, securing additional insurance should they choose, and otherwise maintaining their own relationships with the manufacturers of all bundle items.
The five majors included in this major bundle program are contemporary writing and production (CWP), electronic production and design (EPD), film scoring, music production and engineering (MP&E), and songwriting.
The following conditions apply:
- For the fall 2014 semester, a student must be enrolled in a tech-heavy major, and, in certain majors, be taking a particular "trigger" class:
- For contemporary writing and production (CWP), a signed Declaration of Major Form must be received at the Office of the Registrar by Friday, September 5, 2014, and you must be taking either Sequencing and Production Techniques (CW-191) or DAW Writing and Production (CW-261) this semester.
- For film scoring, a signed Declaration of Major Form must be received at the Office of the Registrar by Friday, September 5, 2014, and you must be taking Computer/Synthesis Applications for Film Scoring (FS-361) this semester.
- For songwriting, a signed Declaration of Major Form must be received at the Office of the Registrar by Friday, September 5, 2014, and you must be taking DAW for the Songwriter 1 (SW-161) this semester.
- For electronic production and design (EPD), you must have applied and been accepted into the major by the start of the semester.
- For music production and engineering (MP&E), you must have applied and been accepted into the major by the start of the semester.
- Students who believe they should be exempted from the major bundle purchase program must get approval from the chair of their department prior to the start of classes for the semester.
- There is no option to substitute, change, or delete components in any major bundle and there are no refunds once a major bundle is purchased and received.
Payment and Pickup
The pickup period for major bundles for fall 2014 will be Monday, September 8, 2014 through Friday, September 12, 2014. If you have not picked up your bundle by the end of the pickup period, you risk the loss of your bundle, as bundle components will not be held for pickup indefinitely. Bundle pickup is at the Student Computer Support Center (SCSC) located at 180/186 Mass. Ave. (lower level).
- All students who become eligible for a major bundle are billed for their bundle along with all other college charges. You must present your Berklee ID to pick up your bundle. You may only receive the bundle for your declared major(s) and must pick up any boxed components in person. Dual majors combining two of the tech-heavy majors receive one bundle that includes the items supporting both majors. Questions that arise as to bundle eligibility should be directed to the respective academic department office.
- Many items in the bundles are downloadable installers available directly from the manufacturers or from Berklee Self-Service. At your bundle pickup, you will be sent an email from the SCSC with download instructions, your individual registration codes, and any other relevant information. It is very important that you complete any necessary product registration and product authorizations in a reasonable time. Berklee cannot be responsible for any issues due to failure to install or authorize your bundle components in a timely fashion.
- Support for major bundles is available from the SCSC. Stop by or set up an appointment.
Important Notice Regarding Bundle Components
There are components in many major bundles that are not packaged items and will not be found in your bundle when you pick it up. These items are available as software downloads and you will be provided with information to register your license and download the software.
These items include:
- Ableton Live Suite and Max for Live (EPD)
- Komplete Standard (CWP, EPD, film scoring, songwriting)
- Logic Pro X (CWP, EPD)
- Max/MSP/Jitter (EPD)
- Vienna String Library (CWP, film scoring)
- The Waves Berklee Bundle download (CWP, EPD, film scoring, songwriting, MP&E)
As mentioned above, you will receive instructions about these items from the Student Computer Support Center when you pick up your bundle. Please note that pricing does not include sales tax.
Important Notice Regarding ProTools
ProTools became part of the entering student's laptop requirement (also known as the Berklee Laptop Purchase Program, or BLPP) starting in the 2013 summer semester. As a result, most, if not all, students now going into a major will likely have purchased ProTools through that program, and ProTools is no longer a part of any of the major bundle packages. If you are a student who, for some reason, did not get ProTools upon entering Berklee, please contact the Student Computer Support Center and you may purchase a ProTools license+iLok via Mastercard/Visa.