All students who declare and enter a major in any of the five tech-heavy departments (singularly or in conjunction with another major), are required to purchase a major bundle and to own a laptop computer that meets the standards of the college. Unlike the licensed software as part of the Berklee laptop requirement, major bundle components are purchased and owned by participating students, who are responsible for registering the software in a timely manner, saving any receipts and other documentation, securing additional insurance should they choose, and otherwise maintaining their own relationships with the manufacturers of all bundle items.
The five tech-heavy majors are Contemporary Writing and Production (CWP), Electronic Production and Design (EPD), Film Scoring, Music Production and Engineering (MPE), and Songwriting.
The following conditions apply:
- For the spring 2014 semester, a student must be enrolled in a tech-heavy major, and, in certain majors, be taking a particular "trigger" class:
- For Contemporary Writing and Production (CWP), a signed Declaration of Major Form must be received at the Office of the Registrar by January 17, 2014, and you must be taking DAW Writing and Production (CW-261) this semester.
- For Film Scoring, a signed Declaration of Major Form must be received at the Office of the Registrar by January 17, 2014, and you must be taking Computer/Synthesis Applications for Film Scoring (FS-361) this semester.
- For Songwriting, a signed Declaration of Major Form must be received at the Office of the Registrar by January 17, 2014, and you must be taking Introduction to Desktop/Digital Audio 1 (SW-151) this semester.
- For Electronic Production and Design (EPD), you must have applied and been accepted into the major by the start of the semester.
- For Music Production and Engineering (MPE), you must have applied and been accepted into the major by the start of the semester.
- Students who believe they should be exempted from the Major Bundle Purchase Program must get approval from the chair of their department prior to the start of classes for the semester.
- There is no option to substitute, change, or delete components in any major bundle and there are no refunds once a major bundle is purchased and received.
Payment and Pickup
The pickup period for major bundles for spring 2014 will be Tuesday, January 21, 2014 through Friday, January 24, 2014. Students who have not picked up their bundle by the end of the pickup period risk the loss of their bundle, as bundle components will not be held for pickup indefinitely. Bundle pickup is at the Student Computer Support Center (SCSC), 180/186 Mass. Ave., lower level.
- All students who become eligible for a major bundle are billed for their bundle along with all other college charges. Students must present their Berklee ID to pickup their bundle. Students may only receive the bundle for their declared major(s) and must pick it up in person. Dual majors combining two of the tech-heavy majors receive one bundle that includes the items supporting both majors. Questions on bundle eligibility that arise should be directed to the respective academic department office.
- A number of software items in the bundles are downloadable installers available directly from the manufacturers or from Berklee Self-Service. At the end of the bundle distribution period, students will receive an email from the SCSC with download instructions, individual registration codes, and any other relevant information. It is very important that students complete any necessary product registration and product authorizations in a reasonable time. Berklee is not responsible for any issues due to failure to install or authorize your bundle components in a timely fashion.
- Support for major bundles is available from the SCSC. Please stop by or feel free to setup an appointment.
Important Notice Regarding Bundle Components
There are components in many major bundles that are not packaged items and will not be found in your bundle when you pick it up. These items are available as software downloads and you will be provided with information to register your license and download the software at the end of the bundle pickup period.
These items include:
- Ableton Live Suite and Max for Live (ELPD)
- Max/MSP/Jitter (ELPD)
- ProTools (CWP, ELPD, Film Scoring, Songwriting, MPE)
- Vienna String Library (CWP, Film Scoring)
- The Waves Berklee Bundle download (CWP, ELPD, Film Scoring, Songwriting, MPE)
You will receive instructions about these items from the Student Computer Support Center at the end of the bundle distribution period. Please note that pricing does NOT include sales tax.
Important Notice Regarding ProTools
A small number of spring 2014 major bundle students may already have purchased ProTools as an entering student in the 2013 summer or fall semester. If this is the case, you will not be given a second ProTools license. After you have picked up your bundle, the Bursar's office will be notified to issue a ProTools refund to your student account.