What to Bring
Unless you are a pianist or drummer, you are expected to bring your instrument to all summer programs. In addition, please note the following:
- Vocalists are encouraged to provide their own low-impedance microphone and cord. There are a number of microphone models available, such as Shure, Blue, and Audio Technica, for around $99.
- Drummers need only bring practice pads, sticks, and brushes. Students are welcome to bring their own cymbals, but there are cymbals available here.
- Guitarists and bassists should bring cables and foot petals, and so on. Amplifiers will be supplied in ensemble and lab rooms. You may wish to bring a small practice amplifier (with headphones) for individual practice rooms.
- Keyboardists who wish to bring a synthesizer for ensemble purposes may do so. Piano/keyboard principals will take their private lesson on acoustic piano.
- Only acoustic bassists may use storage lockers on campus, if lockers are available. Unfortunately, Berklee cannot accommodate storage for any other type of instrument.
Note that Berklee has 24-hour practice rooms in the residence halls. Most of these are just empty rooms, but there may be some equipment available.
If you are planning to stay in the residence halls, you will need to bring the following:
- Bedding (sheets, pillow, pillow case, blanket) for an extra-long twin bed (36 inches by 80 inches)
- Toiletries (soap, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, lotion, sunscreen, shower sandals, etc.)
- Your instrument
- Snacks, if desired, stored in sealed plastic containers
- For those living in 270 Commonwealth Avenue, a fan
You can also consider bringing the following:
- Alarm clock
- Laundry detergent and quarters
- Clothes hangers
- School/writing supplies
- Prescription/first-aid needs
- Mini-fridge for medications
- Small wastebasket
- Extra spending money for snacks, drinks, or transportation