Take the next step to develop your sound in this 12-week online program with instruction in vocal technique, style, and performance skills. Open to vocalists, singer-songwriters, and instrumentalists who sing, the Vocal Summit will let you explore the world of contemporary vocal music. You’ll work with experienced coaches who have mastered the art of healthy vocal production through live online classes, clinics, and master classes while completing coursework at your own pace. Receiving a final grade of B or higher earns you three college credits, which can be applied to an undergraduate program at Berklee or another college or university.
2020 Program Information
|Program dates:||Monday, June 15–Friday, September 4, 2020|
|Registration fee:||$50 (nonrefundable, nontransferable)|
|Age range:||14 years and older|
- Please note: when registering for this program, select Non-Degree (Summer and Extension Programs) as the level and Berklee Boston Summer Program as the application type.
The online summer experience is tailored to your skill level and musical interests. You’ll choose one track from these diverse Berklee Online vocal courses:
- Jazz Voice: Apply the vocal characteristics of great jazz singers such as Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, and Sarah Vaughan to your own sound. Understand proper jazz vocal delivery in a number of tempos, and gain confidence singing an array of jazz standards in a live or recorded context.
- Popular Singing Styles: Developing Your Sound: This track will help the aspiring singer develop their own keen ear as they develop their own sound and learn how to shape their voice for tone and style.
- Pop-Rock Vocals: Learn to sing everything from classic hits to pop-rock to singer-songwriter styles to contemporary indie rock in an authentic way.
- R&B Vocals: Learn the vocal techniques of the R&B greats including Steve Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, Marvin Gaye, and Beyoncé. In this course, you'll gain the necessary skills to sing R&B in an authentic way, including proper phrasing, riffing, shouting, scale patterns, rhythmic articulation, and much more.
- Voice Technique 101: Make your voice sound more powerful, use vocal technique to expand your range and expression, and learn to become more confident in vocal performances.
Additionally, the Vocal Summit offers numerous live online events including panel discussions, virtual open mic sessions, and exciting workshops, all in interactive group environments with other vocalists from around the world.
During the 12 weeks of Vocal Summit, a variety of live online events will be scheduled, including panel discussions, virtual open mic sessions, and exciting workshops, all in interactive group environments with other vocalists from around the world.
You'll participate in five or six hours of required coursework per week and have live class sessions with your Berklee instructors and fellow students, along with independent coursework that can be completed on your own schedule.
Classes will meet regularly at defined times, and you are expected to attend each live class if you can. Recordings of all classes will be archived to accommodate students in different time zones or with schedule issues.
For your coursework, you'll progress towards perfecting your performance with weekly evaluation from your Berklee instructor before recording your assigned song. In addition, several virtual open mic sessions will be scheduled so that you and students from around the world can perform for each other. Each open mic will be facilitated by a Berklee faculty member. There will be opportunities to sing with your own tracks, to self-accompany, or, as safety permits, to have a friend or family member accompany you.
All students 14 and older with six months of singing experience are welcome to attend.
For this program, you should have access to a computer with the latest version of Google Chrome, a webcam, speakers or headphones, an external or internal microphone, and a broadband internet connection. There may be some additional requirements, depending on your chosen track. Please review the requirements before selecting your track.