Groove School: Bass, Drums, and Percussion
Explore the possibilities in the world of rhythm. Whether you play bass, drum set, percussion, or mallets, this program will enrich your repertoire with different methods for improvisation, rhythm, and performance skills. Join Victor Wooten, the Berklee Performance Scholar in Residence; Percussion and Bass department chairs Omar Hakim and Steve Bailey; assistant chairs Yoron Israel and Sandro Scoccia; and nearly 40 more professional faculty for this one-of-a-kind, custom-made program focusing on instrumental skills and the all-important groove. Through clinics, concerts, and personalized ensemble instruction, Berklee’s faculty and visiting artists will guide you through a variety of styles and take your musicianship to the next level.
2019 Program Information
|Program length:||Three days|
|Program dates:||Friday, June 14–Sunday, June 16, 2019|
|Registration fee:||$50 (nonrefundable)|
|Move in:||June 14, 2019, between 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.|
|Move out by:||June 16, 2019, by 7:00 p.m.|
|Age range:||15 years and older|
- Bassists: Arrive with your electric or acoustic bass, and any necessary accessories such as cables, tuners, and pedals. Amps will be provided during the program.
- Drummers: Drums and cymbals will be available in all classes and workshops. Drummers are only expected to bring their stick bag.
- Percussionists: Vibraphone and marimba will be available in all classes and workshops. Mallet players should bring their stick bag. If you play hand percussion or steel pan, please bring your instrument(s) to the program.
Upon arrival, participants are asked to perform a placement audition. Your audition piece allows our faculty to place you in classes appropriate for your skills. Be prepared to play a short piece of music no more than a few minutes long in the style you wish to study for the week.
Though not required, you are permitted to bring laptops, computers, tablets, etc. Wireless internet and electrical outlet plugs are provided throughout the campus. Please keep in mind that it is your responsibility to keep your items safe. Berklee is not responsible for the loss of these items.
Please use the Information for Registered Students page to view the 2019 program schedule.
Students will be placed into the appropriate classes upon arrival to the program. Every participant's schedule will include a class in each of the following:
- Principal instrument classes
- Workshops by featured artists