Business of Music
The recording industry. New marketing strategies. Music entrepreneurship. These are just a few of the topics you’ll get an inside perspective on through this two-day workshop. Topics covered include business, legal, and technological issues affecting independent record production, record companies, music publishing, talent management, concert promotion, and the changes brought by the move to digital. Take away new strategies to promote your band using social medial, interactive websites, and emerging DIY business models.
|Program length:||Two days|
|Program dates:||Friday, June 19, 2015 - Saturday, June 20, 2015|
|Housing: Move in starting: Move out by:||$345 Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 3:00 p.m. Saturday, June 20, 2015 at 8:00 p.m.|
|Age range:||15 years and older|
The keynote speaker for the 2015 Business of Music program will be author and recording/touring artist Bobby Borg. Borg’s session will include a talk titled Music Marketing for the DIY Musician: 10 Steps to Creating and Executing a Plan of Attack on a Low (to No) Budget. Borg is a former major label, independent, and DIY recording/touring artist with more than 25 years experience working alongside the most respected managers, producers, and A&R executives in the music industry.
Borg served as the VP of Special Events for the Los Angeles chapter of the American Marketing Association and as chairman of music business at the Musician’s Institute in Hollywood, California. A recipient of UCLA Extension’s Distinguished Instructor of the Year Award, Borg teaches DIY music marketing, music publishing, and general music business classes both online and on-campus.
Borg is the author of Music Marketing For The DIY Musician, Business Basics For Musicians, and more than 1,000 magazine and blog articles for Billboard.com, Hypebot, SonicBids, Music Connection, Disc Makers, Bandzoogle, and more. He is the founder of Bobby Borg Consulting, where he assists rising music professionals around the world.
- The Music Business: Challenges and Opportunities
- Building a Brand and Creating a Buzz in the New Music Industry
- Summary and Conclusions
Panel Discussion: The Evolving Music Industry
A panel of industry professionals will discuss the important changes taking place in the music industry and their effect on artists and business environments. As the business adapts to digital, DIY, 360 deals, and the like, the changes provide new opportunities.
- Who Does What and Why: A Music Business 101 Update
- Entrepreneurship: The New Music Industry
- New Horizons for Music Enterprises
- Record Label Entrepreneurship
- Music Publishing and Licensing
- The Changing Economics of the Music Business
- Web Commerce and Social Media
- Artist Management
- The R&B/Soul Business: The Roots of Hip-Hop
- Starting and Building a Business
- Concert Promotion and Touring
- Record Contracts: Deal Points
- Building a Website
- Marketing 101
- Public Relations: Getting the Word Out
- Closing Plenary Session: Student/Faculty Q&A