Berklee Summer Semester
Earn college credit, explore your musical interests, and learn from the best of the best online this summer. You’ll work with Berklee faculty who will help you transform your music through live class sessions and independent coursework.
Over 12 weeks, you’ll interface directly with your instructors and talk, share, and collaborate with your classmates on a regular basis. You may even find your next bandmate or future business partner—many others have.
How Online Learning Works
The summer semester begins on May 26, 2020, and will be delivered through Berklee’s online learning environment, with the same Berklee faculty and robust curriculum. Our online learning environment is award-winning and renowned for its innovative instruction, allowing students from around the world to engage in meaningful learning with their teachers, create music together, and form lifelong friendships.
2020 Online Program Information
|Program length:||12 weeks|
|Program dates:||May 26–August 14, 2020|
|Age range:||16 years and older|
*Nonrefundable and nontransferable
Program information is subject to change.
No audition is required. You will need a minimum of two years of formal music training or experience on your principal instrument or voice, and a good working knowledge of/familiarity with the written fundamentals of music theory (including rhythmic notation, melodic notation in treble and bass clefs, key signatures, major and minor scales, intervals, and the construction of triads and seventh chords). Because you'll be enrolled in classes with full-time students, it's important that your musical abilities and writing, theory, and ear training skills are at a compatible level.
Students currently attending a university program may earn transferable credit through completion of the Berklee Summer Semester program. Check with your institution to see what credits can be applied.
Next Steps for Entering Students
Once you have paid your tuition for the online summer semester, you’ll need to make sure you have completed the following items by the time check-in begins on Tuesday, May 19.
- Submit the Transfer Student Discipline Record Release Form. Any student who is currently attending or has attended post-secondary school (college or university) within the last five years must submit this formprior to the beginning of the semester.
- Register for virtual orientation. Your attendance at orientation is optional, but strongly encouraged. Please review the orientation schedule on our website, and contact the Office of New Student and Family Programs at email@example.com if you have any questions.
- Complete your Entering Student Proficiency Assessment (ESPA). All summer semester students must take the ESPA. The ESPA enables Berklee to determine whether advanced levels of arranging, harmony, and ear training are right for you, and to place you in classes with students of similar musical abilities. Access to this online exam will be sent to your Berklee.edu email address. The onine ESPA exam will be available for you to take anytime from Wednesday, May 13 at 9:00 a.m. EDT until Sunday, May 17 at 5:00 p.m. EDT.
- Sign up for a placement audition. You will audition online with your instrumental department for placement into an ensemble and private instruction. The link to sign up for your audition will be sent to your Berklee.edu email address, so don’t forget to check daily. We have preparation materials available by department to help you practice.
- Clear all check-in restrictions (login required). All restrictions on your account must be cleared before you are able to check in for the semester. Log in to the Student Portal and select "Semester Check-In" in the Check-In section to view and resolve your restrictions.
- Check in online (login required). A virtual check-in event will take place in the Student Portal on Tuesday, May 19 from 8:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. EDT. The Office of the Registrar will send more information about the event to your Berklee.edu email address.