Application Information for the Newport Jazz Festival Workshop
To be considered for the 2020 Berklee Global Jazz Institute Workshop at the Newport Jazz Festival, applicants must:
- be at least 15 years of age at the start of the program; and
- be a passionate music student who meets one of the following criteria:
- Currently enrolled in grades nine, 10, or 11 (U.S. students)
- Currently enrolled in grade 12 (U.S. students) and a confirmed applicant to Berklee College of Music as an entering fall 2020 freshman undergraduate student
- Currently enrolled in secondary school (international students) and age 15–19 by the start of the program
- Currently enrolled in secondary or postsecondary school (international students) and a confirmed applicant to Berklee College of Music as an entering fall 2020 freshman undergraduate student
- The scholarship submission deadline is March 1, 2020.
- Decisions will be issued by April 8, 2020.
- Late submissions (those received after March 1, 2020) will be accepted on a rolling basis based on available space.
How to Apply
- Apply to attend the Berklee Global Jazz Institute Workshop at the Newport Jazz Festival. When applying, you must select "Berklee Boston Summer Programs" as the application type.
- Include three links to YouTube video performances in contrasting styles, showcasing musical skills and improvisation.
- Accompaniment is required for the three performance videos. Performing with a band is strongly suggested but a play-along track is acceptable. If you choose to use a play-along track, it must not contain your instrument on the track.
- Include a short essay highlighting your musical and academic achievements (1,500 characters or fewer).
Video Recording Performance Submission Guidelines
- Sound quality is important and the featured musician must be clearly audible (video quality is not a factor).
- Videos can be home, live, or studio recordings.
- Each video should be between three and five minutes in length.
- Recordings of the performances should be recent (within the last year).
- Editing or overdubbing your performance in any way is not permissible.