Scholarships for the Newport Jazz Festival Workshop
To be considered for the 2018 Berklee Global Jazz Workshop at the Newport Jazz Festival, applicants must:
- be at least 15 years of age at the start of the program; and
- be a passionate music student who meets one of the following criteria:
- Currently enrolled in grades nine, 10 ,or 11 (U.S. students)
- Currently enrolled in grade 12 (U.S. students) AND a confirmed applicant to Berklee College of Music as an entering fall 2018 freshman undergraduate student
- Currently enrolled in secondary school (international students) and ages 15–19 by the start of the program
- Currently enrolled in secondary school or postsecondary school (international students) AND a confirmed applicant to Berklee College of Music as an entering fall 2018 freshman undergraduate student
Candidates selected for this five-day intensive jazz program will be awarded a full-tuition scholarship that also covers the housing costs at the Salve Regina University campus.
The scholarship submission deadline is March 1, 2018.
Decisions will be issued by April 6, 2018.
Late submissions (those received after March 1, 2018) will be accepted on a rolling basis based on available space.
How to Apply
Apply to attend the Newport Jazz Festival Workshop.
Include three links to YouTube video performances in contrasting styles, showcasing musical skills and improvisation.
- Accompaniment is required for the three performance videos. Performing with a band is strongly suggested but a play-along track is acceptable. If you choose to use a play-along track, it must not contain your instrument on the track.
- Include a short essay highlighting your musical and academic achievements (1,500 characters or fewer).
Video Recording Performance Submission Guidelines:
- Sound quality is important and the featured musician must be clearly audible (video quality is not a factor).
- Videos can be home, live, or studio recordings.
- Each video should be between three and five minutes in length.
- Recordings of the performances should be recent (within the last year).
- Editing or overdubbing your performance in any way is not permissible.