Berklee/Boston Conservatory Brass Program
Whether you are interested in classical, jazz, or contemporary sounds, the Berklee/Boston Conservatory Brass Program is for you. In this unique five day program, you will study with a diverse world-class brass faculty composed of some of the east coast's most renowned jazz and classical musicians. Experience group master classes with today's top level performers, improvisors, and composers. Learn from your peers through faculty directed jam sessions. Students have the perfect opportunity to improve all aspects of their musical ability– taking their skills to new levels through exploring the world of brass performance.
This program is directed by:
- Larry Isaacson, Boston Conservatory at Berklee, Brass Department Head
- John Faieta, Berklee College of Music, Associate Professor of Brass
2019 Program Information
|Program length:||Five days|
|Program dates:||Monday, June 24–Friday, June 28, 2019|
|Registration fee:||$50 (nonrefundable)|
|Move in:||June 24, 2019, between 8:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.|
|Move out:||June 28, 2019, by 7:00 p.m.|
|Age range:||15 years and older|
Below is a list of items you should be prepared to bring:
- Instrument and any necessary accessories
- Notebook and pencil
Though not required, you are permitted to bring laptops, computers, tablets, etc. Wireless internet and electrical outlet plugs are provided throughout the campus. Please keep in mind that it is your responsibility to keep your items safe. Berklee is not responsible for the loss of these items.
You will also be placed into classes and ensembles with other participants of similar training. To determine your level, the faculty would like you to participate in a placement audition with a short prepared piece: a solo piece, an etude, or an improvisation over a tune.
Please use the Information for Registered Students page as a reference for the 2018 program schedule. The 2019 schedule details will become available closer to the start of the program.
Students will choose between two tracks during their placement audition.
- Jazz: Get familiar with jazz harmony, melody, and rhythm while exploring the roots and branches of America’s unique musical artform. Students will perform music from bebop to swing and modern jazz.
- Funk: Study music that combines elements of R&B and soul music. “Funkify” your soul with music from the likes of the Meters, John Scofield, the Yellow Jackets, Snarky Puppy, and more.
- New Orleans: Explore the roots of jazz through group interaction and solo improvisation in this ensemble that focuses on second line and Dixieland traditions. Music from Louis Armstrong, Bix Beiderbecke, Sidney Bechet, and others will have you groovin’ to the Second Line parade.
The Berklee/Boston Conservatory Brass Program summer faculty includes:
Larry Isaacson, Program Director, Boston Conservatory at Berklee, Brass Department Chair
John Faieta, Program Director, Berklee College of Music, Associate Professor of Brass