English as a Second Language Program

July 11-August 29, 2015

What's the program like?

Study English while developing as a musician and artist. Prepare for college while earning college credit. Berklee’s English as a Second Language Program integrates the study of English language, literature, and culture with the study of music performance. 


Berklee's English as a Second Language Program includes two basic components:

Language program

  • Five hours of daily instruction in English, Monday through Friday.
  • Music-based English language curriculum focusing on:
    • Reading comprehension
    • Writing
    • Listening
    • Grammar
    • Conversation

Music program

  • A weekly private instrument/music lesson
  • Ensemble
  • Performance perspectives
  • Weekly jam session with full-time Berklee students

In addition, a required Berklee course, Artistry, Creativity, and Inquiry, will help you investigate what it means to be an artist as you consider your own artistic path. You will also develop skills to be successful in college and at Berklee. The course will be taught in English and is designed with you, as a student of English, in mind.

Together, these components will help you improve your English skills in all areas. You will study English, you will study music, and you will take part in activities that help you learn beyond the classroom. You will go to the Newport Jazz Festival and the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, take a duck boat tour of Boston, enjoy the grand finale boat cruise jam session along Boston's Charles River, and more. You will be learning from experts, including visiting artists and performers.

Personal attention, close interaction with faculty, and extracurricular events help you learn the English language in a relaxed and fun way.

College Credit

You will receive six semester hours for successful completion of Berklee's English as a Second Language Program. These credits apply to liberal arts elective requirements for students matriculating into the baccalaureate program at Berklee College of Music. The Berklee registrar will assist students in transferring credits to other colleges and universities, as applicable.

International students are required to obtain a valid form I-20 and F-1 student visa to enroll in this program. You may not participate in the program on a tourist visa. Find the necessary visa information and related forms here.

Get More Information

By requesting information from Berklee, you will receive emails about our educational programs, student resources, facilities, and more based on your selections.