For detailed information on evacuation routes and meeting points as well as general safety procedures, see Berklee's Evacuation Plan.
In advance of an emergency, determine the nearest exit(s) to your location and the best route to follow. If time permits during an evacuation, secure your workplace and take personal items you may need with you.
In most emergencies, complete evacuation of the campus is not necessary. If, however, there is a major hazardous materials release, flood, or other major incident, it may be necessary to relocate personnel to a safer location.
Evacuation from a Building
- Walk, do not run.
- Do not use elevators.
- If it's safe to do so, assist people with access and/or functional needs, as requested by that person, or direct the person to the nearest stairwell or predesignated area of refuge. Contact the Berklee Public Safety Department at 617-747-8888 (extension 8888 from a campus phone) for further assistance.
- Assume that you will not be able to re-enter the building for a prolonged period of time. If it's safe to do so, collect essential items such as your car keys, wallet or purse, critical medication such as an inhaler, and outerwear appropriate for the weather and season.
- Assemble outside at your designated evacuation meeting point. Supervisors should have access to a staff roster in order to conduct an accountability check.
- If you cannot return to your building, wait for instructions from Public Safety or other first responders on scene.
Shelter in Place
In some instances, it may be safer to “shelter in place” than it is to leave a building, such as if there is smoke or a fire immediately outside your room, if live electrical wires obstruct access to the exit, if individuals with mobility disabilities are above or below ground floors, or if a hazard causes the elevators to become inoperative. In some cases, authorities may direct you to shelter in place instead of evacuate. Shelter-in-place procedures vary depending on the type of hazard.
Fire or Smoke
- If it's safe to do so, go to the nearest stairwell or pre-designated area of refuge and tell someone who is evacuating to notify emergency personnel of your location and that you are unable to evacuate the building.
- Call 617-747-8888 (extension 8888 from a campus phone), and tell them your name, your location, that you are unable to evacuate and why. Follow Public Safety's directions.
- See the Fire Safety section of our website for more information.
Airborne Chemical Hazard
- Close all outside doors and windows.
- If it's safe to do so, turn off any air conditioners and air handling systems.
- Move away from outside windows and doors as well as air ducts and ventilation systems.
Violent Criminal Action
- Lock and barricade doors with heavy movable objects such as furniture.
- Move away from outside doors and windows.
- Close all window shades, and turn off lights.
- If there are injured people or you have information about the assailant(s), call Public Safety at 617-747-8888 (extension 8888 from a campus phone).
- See the Armed Intruder section of our website for more information.
Severe Weather Incident
- Move away from outside windows and doors as well as large glass objects.
- Avoid being underneath heavy objects that may fall.
- Help direct people with special needs to a safe place, if necessary.
- See the Natural Disasters section of our website for more information.