If a bomb threat is received via a handwritten note, call 617-747-8888 (extension 8888 from a campus phone), and handle the note as minimally as possible.
If a bomb threat is received via email, do not delete the message. Call 617-747-8888 (extension 8888) to report it.
If a bomb threat is received via phone, keep the caller on the phone, and ask a lot of questions using the checklist below. Contact the Berklee police at 617-747-8888 (extension 8888) immediately after the call.
Checklist for Bomb Threat via Phone
Ask the caller the following:
- Where is the bomb located? (which building, floor, room, etc.)
- When will it go off?
- What does it look like?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- What will make it explode?
- Did you place the bomb? If yes, why?
- What is your name?
Document the following:
- Any responses to the above questions
- The exact words of the threat
- Where the caller is located
- The caller's estimated age
- Is the voice familiar? If so, who does it sound like?
Pay attention to the caller's voice. Note the following:
- Whether the voice seems female or male
- Any accent
- The tone of voice and whether it's particularly nasal
- Whether the caller is crying or laughing and seems excited or agitated
- Any lisp or unusual speech such as a stutter or slurred words
In addition, note any of the following background sounds:
- Animal noises
- Car noises
- House/kitchen noises
Also pay attention to the language of the threat. Is it incoherent, profane, irrational, well-spoken, or anything else?