Sarpay “SharpEye” Özçağatay is a private instructor at Berklee as well as an author, performer, clinician, and recording artist. His self-produced debut album of original compositions, Unexpectable, was released in 2013. It was well received by leading jazz critics and broadcasters in blogs, jazz radio, newspapers, and flute magazines. Özçağatay is an artist at Japanese flute company Miyazawa Flutes and is also endorsed by Applied Microphone and the Ton Kooiman thumb rest company. British flute maker Trevor James created a signature “SharpEye” alto flute for Özçağatay.
As an educator, in addition to his workshops and extensive online presence, Özçağatay serves as jazz chair of the National Flute Association and is a judge at their competitions. He published five flute method books for jazz and classical players entitled Unlock. The Unlock series was recognized quickly by many professional jazz and classical flutists and musicians around the world, and is sold in 36 countries. Özçağatay's extensive online presence is followed by flute students and professionals worldwide.
Özçağatay has performed countless concerts at prestigious jazz and world music venues, and at music festivals with Grammy Award–winning artists and internationally acclaimed musicians from all over the world. As a recording artist, he has performed on many albums as both a leader and a sideman, as well as being a voting member of the Recording Academy.
- Career Highlights
- Performances with SharpEye Project as leader, Arturo Sandoval, Ron Carter, Terri Lyne Carrington, and George Garzone, among many others
- Published Unlock flute method book series: Volume I: The Jazz Flute, Volume II: Technical Exercises, Volume III: Jazz Etudes, Volume IV: Intermediate Jazz Etudes, and Volume V: Easy Jazz Etudes
- Albums include Unexpectable
- Grammy Award voting member
- National Flute Association jazz committee chair
- Winner of the National Flute Association International Jazz Flute Soloist Competition in 2014
- Awarded second place in the New York Flute Center Online Flute Competition
- Recipient of the Billboard Magazine Scholarship Award given by Berklee College of Music
- B.M., Berklee College of Music, jazz performance